Shack Attack BBQ Sauce Recipe

I've made 3 or 4 batches of this. In my experience, it is always best after letting sit in the fridge for a week, shaking it up once a day. The flavors blend and mellow with the rest time. After 3 or 4 weeks, it's amazing. I've been adding a teaspoon of granulated garlic, and using Louisiana Supreme Habanero Pepper sauce for the hot sauce part.

I just made up a batch. Thanks for sharing. I know I am going to like it....but I will let you exactly how much I like it after it sits for a few days in the fridge.

Just made up a batch. Its for sure a different type of sauce gonna use it saturday. As of right now i dont really know what to think about it. ;)

Just made up a batch. Its for sure a different type of sauce gonna use it saturday. As of right now i dont really know what to think about it. ;)

Wait 24-30 hours then taste again.. it will taste entirely different (and better).

I always sauce my pork butt with this stuff.

I use it as the foiling liquid and as a sauce after I pull it (I pour in about a cup of it for a 10 pound roast). Then I might use sweet baby rays as a finishing sauce for a sandwich--a very light amount on top of that shack attacked pork (they go together well). If I put in a soft taco, I finish it with salsa verde instead.

I like this sauce so much I made a scrapbook 3x5 recipe card for it :)

3308h3q.jpg

I get an "Old Thread Warning" when posting to this thread... So what. I gotta stir this one up so that folks remember how good this sauce is... Make and enjoy some with your family. Today, tomorrow and next year...

Fixin' to make some now for next week - love this stuff!

Thanks, brethren! I'm glad you all enjoy the old VA BBQ sauce!

I will be posting a recipe for a Virginia red sauce soon called Griffin's Virginia Red. Great story behind the 19th century VA BBQ cook that inspired it. I don't know that it's as good as Shack sauce, but it's pretty tasty, I think.

I will be posting a recipe for a Virginia red sauce soon called Griffin's Virginia Red. Great story behind the 19th century VA BBQ cook that inspired it. I don't know that it's as good as Shack sauce, but it's pretty tasty, I think.

Can't wait.

Bring it on..

I just made a quadruple batch! Was it a sin:twisted: to use smoked paprika? That's all I had as it is usually what I buy. It taste pretty good after 2 days, but I think it would be better with regular paprika.

Anyone tried it with Sriracha? I made a batch a couple of weekends ago and it was fantastic, but it was the first time I had made it and I'm curious if its that much different than if I would have used Franks or something like that.

Anyone tried it with Sriracha? I made a batch a couple of weekends ago and it was fantastic, but it was the first time I had made it and I'm curious if its that much different than if I would have used Franks or something like that.

I cant say for sriracha put ive made it with franks and Texas pete and seen little to no difference.

Funny you should post this today as exactly 2 years ago today, post #44, I wrote about making this with sriracha. That batch tasted more like a pure hot sauce to me. But I later used a measuring cup and found out I was not using enough vinegar. The recipe called for 1 1/2 cups and I used less than a cup. To this day it is still my favorite sauce for pulled pork. Also good on chicken, pizza, fried fish, eggs or straight out the bottle to wake up the taste buds.

To answer your question yes many have used sriracha and to me I can not taste a big difference between it and Franks. Pick your favorite hot sauce and go with it. I also use whatever mustard I have on hand, dijon, yellow, deli, lots of fresh coarse black pepper and smoked paprika.

I have made several batches with sriracha. I do like it, but I prefer franks red hot or a habanero mango hot sauce that my roommate has to make the Shack Sauce.

icon1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky

Funny you should post this today as exactly 2 years ago today, post #44, I wrote about making this with sriracha. That batch tasted more like a pure hot sauce to me. But I later used a measuring cup and found out I was not using enough vinegar. The recipe called for 1 1/2 cups and I used less than a cup. To this day it is still my favorite sauce for pulled pork. Also good on chicken, pizza, fried fish, eggs or straight out the bottle to wake up the taste buds.

The recipe calls for 3 cups of vinegar not 1 1/2cups. That could be the problem

Just made some up today...and saved the red sauce recipe to make another time. I love vinegar based sauces so these are right up my alley.

I have made several batches with sriracha. I do like it, but I prefer franks red hot or a habanero mango hot sauce that my roommate has to make the Shack Sauce.

I used Srirarcha and thought it was great. I asked my wife to pick up some other hot sauce - I told her "doesn't matter what kind, just any cayenne based hot pepper sauce." She heard the "doesn't matter what kind" and got some habanero hot sauce that has me a bit concerned (I like "spicy hot" but not "blow off the top of your head" hot).

But I'll give it a go next time with some of that! Thanks

If you are worried about the shack sauce being too hot with that habanero hot sauce. Just add a little bit in, give it a taste. If it is good leave it right there, if you want more heat, add a little bit more and give it a taste, repeat as much as necessary.

I did that with the habanero mango sauce to make sure I didn't light my mouth on fire.

icon1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky

The recipe calls for 3 cups of vinegar not 1 1/2cups. That could be the problem

Not sure what recipe or version you are talking about but post #1 by Boshizzle calls for 1 1/2 cups vinegar.

Back