Peanuts--smoked then dehydrated--YUMMY

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have been developing my smoked peanut recipe w/salt & cayenne for awhile.
Pretty happy with it. Just need to "UP" the salt level.

Yesterday I smoked some Jerky and put it on the dehydrator this AM to finish up.
Had a few sq inches left, so put a handful of my smoked peanuts.
"Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained"--right? :crazy:

At 1.5 hours at 145 deg they were heavenly.
Nice "crunch" and a good twist on basic smoked peanuts.

Gonna keep working on this process--lots of potential.

TIM

Peanuts

Tell us a little more about your peanut recipe please---

Not being funny---but,
Peanuts, salt, cayenne.
Smoked at 300-375 for 15-45 minutes depending on temp.

Still a work in process.

TIM

Very interesting. I assume you start with standard, unsalted peanuts? Do you add any oil or anything to help the salt and cayenne adhere? I have wanted to try something like this and I have always thought about doing a soak before hand too. Not sure if soaking in a spice slurry would impart any flavor.

I really like the idea of dehydrating them more as those crunchy peanuts are great. Thanks.

Very interesting. I assume you start with standard, unsalted peanuts? Do you add any oil or anything to help the salt and cayenne adhere? I have wanted to try something like this and I have always thought about doing a soak before hand too. Not sure if soaking in a spice slurry would impart any flavor.

I really like the idea of dehydrating them more as those crunchy peanuts are great. Thanks.

I have tried several oils such as EVOO and Canola.
And a couple of sprays.
Best one I have found (so far) is Pam Butter blend. Very light coating.
Cayenne sticks to the nuts very well.
Am playing with the salts. So far, not happy with salt level due to poor adhesion.
Next test batch will be some finely ground Sea Salt or Kosher Salt to see if I can get it to adhere to the nuts better.
If that fails, I may brine them like they do peanuts in the shell.

Just a cheap, easy, and fun way to try new things and keep my mind busy on rainy days :redface:

TIM

Back