$66.00 UDS completed with pics

Great lookin, i mean ugly drum you got there. Bring on the pron!

I stand corrected on the basket, it IS expanded steel. The main support for the base is a riser from a barstool that I bought at Menards. I didn't need the riser, and it looked like it would make a nice base. I just took the scrap pieces and welded them across the top and then went around the outside with a plasma cutter. I suck at welding so it was a pretty UGLY basket when I got done with it. I broke it in with a chuck roast (french dips) and a few short ribs. I was so hungry I forgot to take pics. Trying some pork ribs tomorrow. The beef was awesome!!!

You definitely work with exhaust pipe for a living. Nice job...

Here is the first back of pork ribs off the UDS

She aint so ugly anymore, But she's still cheap and easy:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCF0014.jpg
    DSCF0014.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 145
I've never cooked on a drum, but do you really want a fire basket that big? Most I've seen don't cover the entire bottom of the drum. I've seen briskets on fire from set ups like this before. :biggrin:

I've never cooked on a drum, but do you really want a fire basket that big? Most I've seen don't cover the entire bottom of the drum. I've seen briskets on fire from set ups like this before. :biggrin:

The only reason I made the ring that big was due to the size of the base I had. I certainly won't fill it completely unless I start cremation services for the neighborhood pets.

... I certainly won't fill it completely unless I start cremation services for the neighborhood pets.

Speaking of cooking pets, here is a guy who cooks cats!
Cooked-Cat-18884.jpg

But seriously, Nice build! When I get my barrel, I will steal (ahem use) some of your ideas. I love the use of eye bolts. seems safer than the sharpened arm gougers I've seen. Very sweet!

My build was a mix of about 20 different plans/ideas/pic I saw while researching. I claim no award for a new idea. Use what you can find and make it your own. I knew I'd reached the pinnacle when my wife walked by while I was cooking ribs and proclaimed, "damn, that things ugly".

2nd Cook, First Baby Backs

I stopped at the not so local but popular meat shop for some fatty's and baby backs. $5.19 a lb for baby backs, and $4.29 for brisket. Needless to say only a few baby backs came home, and I'll head to wally world for a pork price reality check. Once set the uds held temp steady. I put some red marker on the guage so I can check it from a distance (err couch)...
250 for 5 hours, no foil, downright awesome....

Attachments

• DSCF0019.jpg
    DSCF0019.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF0020.jpg
    DSCF0020.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF0021.jpg
    DSCF0021.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF0022.jpg
    DSCF0022.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 97
Shark, like the way you marked the therm temp range. I oriented the 200 degree mark to 12 o'clock to do the same. Everyone says, " did you know your thermometer is crooked". Can you see the needle from a short distance okay? Nice drum.

Ya killin me over here boss!! Clean up those edges man!!

Nice build though. :cool:

Shark, like the way you marked the therm temp range. I oriented the 200 degree mark to 12 o'clock to do the same. Everyone says, " did you know your thermometer is crooked". Can you see the needle from a short distance okay? Nice drum.

My original plan was to turn the thermometer, but I decided I would still have to walk up to it to be sure. After I marked it up I found I can read it from 50-75 feet no problem, If I can't see the needle, I know I'm in the red and Q'n fine8)

Back