Risking my Tuna

Where'd ya catch the tuna in Washington?
Waiting for results. Don't dry it out.
Oh, that's what Mayo is for.

We went 50 miles out from Newport Oregon

This likely wont hit a sammich (but ya never know) caught 10 fish each and we canned 80% of it. seared some fresh and this is the last of it.

Got all but a couple pieces of salmon out of the freezer also. Time to clean it out and get ready for a new year!

Did you try any raw after the dry brine? I'd definitely try it after the soak too.

Good Job

Thanks for the recipe, Smoke Dog. I can't wait for Albie season down here out of San Diego. The last few seasons, the Albies made the big left turn and went far off shore of our outer banks and thus not too many Albies in the counts. However, we were blessed with WFO Bluefin instead. I use the Big Chief too but just for fish. I just cleaned out the freezer and smoked the last of the Bluefin and Yellowtail as well.

They say El Nino is coming so it could be an interesting year...:-D

Good luck and tight lines...

Thanks for the recipe, Smoke Dog. I can't wait for Albie season down here out of San Diego. The last few seasons, the Albies made the big left turn and went far off shore of our outer banks and thus not too many Albies in the counts. However, we were blessed with WFO Bluefin instead. I use the Big Chief too but just for fish. I just cleaned out the freezer and smoked the last of the Bluefin and Yellowtail as well.

They say El Nino is coming so it could be an interesting year...:-D

Good luck and tight lines...

Thanks,

Smelt has been closed for a couple years and we just had a monster smelt run. 2-3 gallons of smelt in one dip! Signs of a good fish run when the bait fish are plentiful!

I'm stubborn on the topic of tuna. Well done belongs in salads, I couldn't do what you are about to do. However, I am curious. I hope it turns out for ya.

I did taste it raw this morning. It was OK but I am looking forward to it smoked.

I was worried it my be too salty but is was not.

OK – Here is the update on the smoked Tuna
This is what the brine looked like the following morning
View attachment 92949
Now rinsed and ready for the Apple juice bath
View attachment 92950
I put a small amount of Teriyaki sauce on each piece before adding the juice. I forgot to take pictures of the AJ tub!

On the rack for an hour before going in the smoke house.
I experimented with a few. Habanero jelly on some, sprinkle of brown sugar with Black pepper on a few and just black pepper on some. Straight up for the 2nd rack.
View attachment 92951
The left side is salmon - you can see the habanero jelly on those also
View attachment 92952
Get the fire going – Started with maple and blended in apple and cherry
View attachment 92953
Tuna is out of the smoker!
View attachment 92954
Here is a close up
View attachment 92955
Pulled in time so it was still moist inside.
View attachment 92956
It had a good smoke flavor, you can taste the apple juice maybe more than I like but it is good. The pepper does add a nice touch and I liked the habanero Jelly the best.
I found that it is better sliced than it is broken apart. Slice in 1/8 – 3/16 slices gives a nice dense and meaty piece.
Salmon is still in the smoker and after pulling the tuna, we added MSD's Pastrami on the right side.
Thanks for lookin
SD

Last edited:
I have never done smoked tuna, but I have done a quick pan sear on Ahi tuna. I will have to try this and see how it turns out.

Back