My husband's bday gift

C

coltleader5

My husband has two great joys in life. The first being BBQ and the second being the outdoors. I think I figured out a way to combine both for his birthday present. I want to build him an outdoor kitchen. I don't even know where to start so I need some help/advice. Has anyone ever tried to do this? I just did some searching online and found one website that could supply some of the outdoor kitchen stuff but what about the other aspects like plumping, the grill, etc? Which grill would be best for his BBQ habits? Thanks for any help you can give me!

Outdoor kitchens are great. I would love to have one, so I would not be running in and out of the house to prepare a meal with BBQ.

There are a lot of components that you can buy that are modular, sort of like kitchen cabinets at Home Depot. You'll need some craftsmen for things like tile work, plumbing and electrical, unless you can do that stuff yourself. But, if you can buy modular cabinetry and build upon that, you can probably save a lot of money over having it built from scratch.

I would focus on the stuff other than the BBQ gear, like a small fridge, perhaps a one or two burner cooktop, and most of all, a sink and countertop space for food prep and cleanup. That's what I would want, and as a luxury, a good ice-maker -- one that makes ice cubes, not those annoying crescents.

In fact, if he is a serious BBQ nut, don't build the grill/smoker into the kitchen, as he may want to change cookers over time. Focus on prep, clean-up and other things that make it possible to prepare an entire BBQ dinner right there on the spot.

I think it is a great birthday Idea. :thumb:

I noticed this is in Indiana. Is this going to be housed? Your winters are as bad as ours in Illinois. Frozen water lines could be a problem. Maybe there is a way for it to be open air during the warmer months and enclosed during cold weather and still have everything you need for your outdoor kitchen area.

I noticed this is in Indiana. Is this going to be housed? Your winters are as bad as ours in Illinois. Frozen water lines could be a problem. Maybe there is a way for it to be open air during the warmer months and enclosed during cold weather and still have everything you need for your outdoor kitchen area.

You just need to have a water shut off valve inside the house, and drain the water lines when the weather is too cold.

CD

I would love it if my wife wanted to do the same for me, but to be honest about it, I would really want to be totally involved in the layout and design. Outdoor kitchens are very personal things.

Just saying........

I would love it if my wife wanted to do the same for me, but to be honest about it, I would really want to be totally involved in the layout and design. Outdoor kitchens are very personal things.

Just saying........

I think Smells is right. Surprise him honey with the idea, maybe his first smoker. That is if he smokes. You do look don' you? :becky:

If you have been married long enough, I think you know how to pick his brain without having to have him involved in the build. I think you can surprise him and get it right.

Just figure out what he would want to do in an outdoor kitchen, and build around that.

CD

I agree - I think you get some basic ideas, and a budget and then get him involved. As much as I would love an outdoor kitchen, and as much as I loe Big Al, I wouldn't want him making all the decisions on that one.

Its fantastic that you would do this but unless you are sending him out of town for a long period of time I don't know how you can pull it off without involving him. I know my lovely wife, as much as I love her would not have a clue as what I would want.

We have an unspoken rule, I don't buy her jeweler or clothes and she does not buy me tools or bbq equipment.
Dave

I would highly recommend you save your money and buy him the 22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain. :thumb:

bbq%20brethren%2022.jpg

Brick hearth oven attached to a brick fire pit with SS grill grate and motorized rotisserie. Insulated smoker cabinet (with cold smoke capabilities) double sink, chest refrigerator for food and kegs of homebrew, CO2 system and tap tree, bar and stools.

Oh and it will need a roof over the kitchen and the stack of woods.

..Oh and maybe a retractable large screen TV up in the roof. For movies or the game.

:p

This is something I worked on for a couple years, just to get your creative juices flowing:

104_0242.jpg

102_0319.jpg

newer10-09095.jpg

newer10-09093.jpg

There are pre-fab componets you can purchase, as Casey Dog suggested. Home Depot and Lowes have a few idea books that have some great ideas too. Good luck!!

Think of it like planning your kitchen for your house.
1) Is it going to be covered over. What type of finishes, What style?

2) What type structure?
a. Wood deck.
b. concrete or pavers.
3) Start with the most essential items.
a. Smoker
b. Grill maybe one of the Santa Maria style.
c. Work space and serving space.
d. trash storage.
e. refrigeration of some type. small under counter type.
f. Seating and table area.
g. Could have a brick grill and oven with a removable top and addtional, side fire box.
h. Water can be out side if done properly for winter, but still always a risk of freezing. BUt as stated you can drain off and blow clean so you do not get any freezing in traps and bends. The other thing is if you have plumbing it needs to tie into your waste system or maybe build a small drainage system with 10 or 12 infiltrators and a tank.
For my money, being of modest means, I would just have a fill-able water tank and waste water bucket.

4) Get some 1/4" graph paper. layout & size the equipment and items you wish to include and add extra room for future expansion. All the items will give you a dimension of the basic foot print. Do a sketch of the design.
5) Remember anything you put in this needs to be able to handle weather and rodents. It also needs to look good for you.
6) It can be as simple or complex as you wish, but you see some of what is posted all are pretty nice and fit each persons wants and needs.
I like simple clean and fun.

Have fun with the design and surprising your Husband. He is yours for life.
Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
Back