Backwoods Competitor

Pappy Q

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
For those of you using this smoker for competitions, do you always use a Guru? Curious as to how well the smoker works without one. Any input appreciated.

Yes, I have both a Competitor and a Party. I do have a guru on the Competitor but have found that you really don't need it if you want to smoke around the 250 degree mark. It does depend on how much fuel you have in the fire (lump or brickettes) and how you manage the dampers. Personally, I don't like my Competitor and tend to cook more on the Party. Would gladly let it go for another model or something totally different --- but that's a different story.

i have a backwoods "fatboy" and have not bought into that you have to use a guru, it is very easy in maintaining a constant temp in these cookers without it. i have found that once fire is going, i can leave just one side cracked app 1/2" for 225 degrees, or open to around 3/4-1" for 250 degrees,

I have the BW compeditor and use it for comps and catering. She is rock solid on temps and yes I could get by without using a guru if needed and feel I could put out a winning product.
BUT I do use the guru just so I can feel a little more at ease and get a little more sleep at night. Since I compete mostly by myself with no help at all.

I got my G2 Party and Chubby at the beginning of the year and got a great deal on a used cyberq 2 to control both of them. I didn't buy the backwoods attachments right away so I made sure to learn how to run the pits without the Cyberq.

The learning curve was short as the pits do run very well on their own so it could certainly be done at a competition. But I'm also all for controlling all the variables that I can. So I use the cyberq to help run the pits.

Pappy, I have 2 Fatboys and I use the Guru to run both, having said that I learned by advise from a very good friend how to control the pits without; you never know when Murphy will show up. They are very easy to maintain temp no matter what that temp is that you are wanting to maintain, I used the Guru as stated above for an insurance of a constant temp for competition, but at home for family gatherings (for me) I found it more enjoyable to go old school. IMHO

I have a party, it runs fine without the guru as long as you "walk" it up to temp. If you feed it too much air and get it too fast too quick, it's not easy to get it back down. 250 does seem to be its sweet spot, pretty easy to cook at that temp.

never used one on my Party. Once I extended the charcoal basket it burns all night and stays at a solid 250 or so. I just never saw the need

Well I guess you do what you gotta do... But I call dibs on the enclosed if it goes up for sale. Lol

There is this guy I know, I think he won the Jack with a Backwoods. I think he uses a guru. I just can't think of his name.

There is this guy I know, I think he won the Jack with a Backwoods. I think he uses a guru. I just can't think of his name.

Name is Chris Hart team IQUE and he did it on a Fatboy Now he uses a Jambo
I am with a team that uses a Guru on the BW Competitor- works great

Yes, I have both a Competitor and a Party. I do have a guru on the Competitor but have found that you really don't need it if you want to smoke around the 250 degree mark. It does depend on how much fuel you have in the fire (lump or brickettes) and how you manage the dampers. Personally, I don't like my Competitor and tend to cook more on the Party. Would gladly let it go for another model or something totally different --- but that's a different story.

I have a party, it runs fine without the guru as long as you "walk" it up to temp. If you feed it too much air and get it too fast too quick, it's not easy to get it back down. 250 does seem to be its sweet spot, pretty easy to cook at that temp.

We used a Competitor for 5 years - generally with a Guru but not always. I don't feel we needed the guru, but it was peace of mind while sleeping. Every unit will be slightly different and may change as gaskets and doors wear. Mine started out running at 235 naturally, worked it's way up to 250 then I changed the firebox gasket and it went back down to 225 without using the guru and only air from the guru door.

As mentioned in the 2nd comment above, walking it up slowly definitely helped me too. By letting it get up to temp slowly it was easier to maintain the temp I wanted. Those times I needed to get it humming quickly, it was often a challenge to keep it under 250 because of the amount of coal that would get going. I preferred to let the Competitor get up to temp naturally before turning on the guru to force air in. When possible for comps, I liked to get it going 2-3 hours before putting meat on. When I was able to do that, it was practically maintenance free outside of refilling the coal once and some water from time to time.

Speaking of water, the Competitor holds about 5 gallons - adding more than 1.5-2 gallons at a time can also affect the temp in a big way. Which sucked at times but was also a savior from time to time. Temp running away? No prob, drain some and add in cold (repeat as needed).

Loved that smoker, but was a pain to load in the toyhauler and we were only using for one meat. I'd like to find a party or extended party.

Actually Lippy is referencing Pappy Q's neighbor Podge who won the Jack in 07 i think with only a fatboy. Hart did as well, but it was more of an inside joke i think. :wacko:

Loved that smoker, but was a pain to load in the toyhauler and we were only using for one meat. I'd like to find a party or extended party.[/QUOTE]

Party isn't bad, we throw it on a dolly and can throw it in the back of trucks. Its pretty much just our rib cooker.

Huh. I would have guessed the Jambo.

Podge won on the" Little Cooker that did"...

For that Jack cook I was using the Jambo. Which by the way may be brought out of retirement this weekend (renovation includes a guru mount)

I've owned a variety of backwoods smokers and it is perfectly suited to a guru. While you can certainly run the backwoods without, its nice to have a babysitter.

Back