corn bread for garnish!

rookiedad

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
i was thinking it might be better to use a square of corn bread instead of lettuce for the garnish in a competition box. it would provide a nice background to the meat, it would complement barbeque more than lettuce or parsley from a traditional standpoint and it could be used as a pallet cleanser. it also could be baked into perfect squares to fit into competition boxes and would not stick to or effect the flavor of the meat like parsley can.

Or crisp $50 bills, tucked neatly in sterile zip-lock baggies (because we dont want to get sauce on the money). The green color really accents the reddish color of the meats and sauces, IMHO.

Actually, in an ancillary category (Margaritas, if I recall correctly), we did line the bottom of the tray with fake money... Got 2nd place.

Just make sure that the corn bread doesnt become soggy if u plan on the judges eating it, but i have been thinking the same thing

i was thinking it might be better to use a square of corn bread instead of lettuce for the garnish in a competition box. it would provide a nice background to the meat, it would complement barbeque more than lettuce or parsley from a traditional standpoint and it could be used as a pallet cleanser. it also could be baked into perfect squares to fit into competition boxes and would not stick to or effect the flavor of the meat like parsley can.

Is this for the main categories at a KCBS comp? That would, of course, be illegal garnish. For a side category with open garnish it may be interesting.

He is proposing a change. It won't be illegal when KCBS changes the rules.

Cornbread?...great idea.:-D..can you also put in a spoonful of vinegar-slaw also?:heh:

yes, some slaw would also be good. And while we are at it lets change the water to a nice ice cold pepsi. :p keith

Last edited:
Cornbread?...great idea.:-D..can you also put in a spoonful of vinegar-slaw also?:heh:

you know what...i think that would be good, but the cornbread idea was to try to offer something bland that would not conflict with the barbeque and still provide a little color and a platform on which to display the meat. even though i think a whole bed of cole slaw is more in tune with barbeque in general than lettuce, i think vinegar being pungent might get involved with the flavors of the barbeque.

But, I thought it was a meat contest, not a garnish contest. :p

Place your over/under bets now on how long it would take teams to complain that they don't have the "right" cornbread recipe, they don't have a baker on their team, that judges don't understand and reward "their" style of cornbread, that some cheating bastige used restaurant cornbread...

I tried a 8x8 square of garlic bread as a base once in a steak grilling contest. Didn't love the results.

Or crisp $50 bills, tucked neatly in sterile zip-lock baggies (because we dont want to get sauce on the money). The green color really accents the reddish color of the meats and sauces, IMHO.

Actually, in an ancillary category (Margaritas, if I recall correctly), we did line the bottom of the tray with fake money... Got 2nd place.

I know a cook that garnished a ppls choice box with singles......he still has judges mad at him

I thought is was hilarious!

Back