Smoked some marlin tonight

Crash

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Tamashiro Market in Kalihi had some nice looking fish this week, so I went and picked up 4lbs of Nairagi (Striped Marlin) to cook. I was hoping to grill it, but decided to slow smoke it instead.

Here's how it went down.

I got one nice filet (skin on) for about 15 bucks. Smoking deal and super, nice quality.
20110205221150.jpg

Sliced it horizontally into thirds.
20110205232044.jpg

Then into strips about 3/4" to 1" wide and about 3-6 inches long.
20110205233836.jpg

I then dumped the fish strips into the brine. The brine was simple, 1Qt of H2O, 1/2 C brown sugar, 1/2 C Kosher Salt, 2 TBSP of whole peppercorns, sliced onions and 4 bay leaves.

Brined for 6 hours using 1 fist sized chunk of cherry. I totally over-brined it...too salty.

Nairagi001.jpg

Still, it was good!

They look very tasty! Too salty? Did ya rinse after the brine?

Just wondering, why would somebody brine fish fillets/steaks?

as a conservation measure, marlin are better left released than eaten...

"No Marlin on the Menu" http://billfish.org/697-american-consumers-wont-endorse-marlin-on-the-menu

www.billfish.org

Marlin is fantastic when smoked properly!!!
You freikin tree huggers never cease to amaze me.
I love Marlin and there's nothing a bunch of hippies can do to change that!!!!!
Besides, you obviously have ZERO experience fishing for Marlin.
99% of the time, they are caught on live bait and they swallow the hook.
So you either harvest the fish for it's meat or sleep well knowing that the fish you released sank immediately to the bottom of the ocean.
Open your eyes and walk away from the bong.

Looks good!
I think you've brined it way too long,probably 30 minutes will do the trick for these king of strips.

Tamashiro Market in Kalihi had some nice looking fish this week, so I went and picked up 4lbs of Nairagi (Striped Marlin) to cook. I was hoping to grill it, but decided to slow smoke it instead.

Here's how it went down.

I got one nice filet (skin on) for about 15 bucks. Smoking deal and super, nice quality.
20110205221150.jpg

Sliced it horizontally into thirds.
20110205232044.jpg

Then into strips about 3/4" to 1" wide and about 3-6 inches long.
20110205233836.jpg

I then dumped the fish strips into the brine. The brine was simple, 1Qt of H2O, 1/2 C brown sugar, 1/2 C Kosher Salt, 2 TBSP of whole peppercorns, sliced onions and 4 bay leaves.

Brined for 6 hours using 1 fist sized chunk of cherry. I totally over-brined it...too salty.

Nairagi001.jpg

Still, it was good!

We brine our Marlin, but we also wash the fish after the brine to remove a lot of the salt
And maybe use less salt in the brine than you did this time.
Just my $.02....
Good luck!!!

Folks,

Two things:

1. Telling someone they shouldn't cook what they're posting is a bit over the top. We all have opinions on what to eat and what not to (I wouldn't eat hummingbird tongues, for example), but it's not very Brethren-like to spew an opinion when it's not asked for, especially when it blasts another Brethren. Remember the golden rule: if you have nothing nice to say - say nothing.

2. Calling someone names is also not Brethren-like. Matter of fact, that rules infraction is high on our list of offenses.

So...chill and enjoy what may be the first report of cooking marlin we've seen here. If you don't like eating marlin or thinking of others who do, go read something else. And quit poking others in the eye.

By the way, I do not usually call a member out publicly; I prefer to handle these through PM, but since there are two of you farking up, I made an exception. :becky:

Arlin

In regards to the brine amount I think it totally depends on what type of end product you are looking for. The brine used with the marlin is very much what I use for salmon when I want a refridgerated appetizer. This would be opposed to when I just direct grill or high heat indirect grill with wood chips a fillet of salmon that I am going to eat hot.

In other words, I think you would have a fantastic product for cheese and crackers if you chilled the smoked marlin overnight. It would be a product you could put into cream cheese dips/cheese balls etc. also.

If you want a hot fish right off the grill maybe you would want to halve your salt or quicken the brine time that was mentioned before.

Looks farking great to me. I deal with fish day in and day out, but I'd still pound that!

looks nice. Maybe next time less salt or less time as others have said. Do you dry it a bit before smokeing to create a pellicle?

I figured I'd take some flack for my post, but I stand by it on general principles. it is true some will die from swallowing the hook and they should be utilized. it's also true that many will NOT die from being caught and should be released.

I'm a forester by trade, so I've personally been responsible for the deaths of MANY trees...not exactly a tree hugger. I'm also a trapper...no hippie tendencies, here.

marlin are in decline and need conservation measures to ensure their survival, it's that simple.

I did not attack the OP personally...just tried to educate him.

Last edited:
Crash, ono kind grinds!!:p Never slow smoked fish before..

Decline Where? In your part maybe...but do you not think Hawaii has their own Dept. of Aquatic Resources? We have strict fishing laws here, probably one of the highest in the nation...for commercial fishermen, So before you educate...

from otterpops link...

"Striped marlin has dramatically declined in the Pacific Ocean. There's uncertainty about the health and abundance of blue marlin populations;..."

and...

"All striped marlin is ranked as "Avoid" due to severe population declines."

I believe the OP mentioned smoking striped marlin.

That looks great never had Marlin but I`d be willing to try that.. BTW aren`t you originally from AZ Crash?

It seems simple to me. You live on an island you are going to eat fish........ Looks delicious!

It looks great! Better luck next time with the brine. They say you learn from your mistakes but if that were true, I would be much smarter than I am today...

Back