Competition Ribs

I smoke cook ribs that I really enjoy that are dry Memphis style. Our comp ribs are good but "Candy on a bone". Can you compete in the Northeast or for that matter elsewhere with ribs that are not sauced or glazed and fair well?

Thanks.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

CTSmokehouse said:
Can you compete in the Northeast or for that matter elsewhere with ribs that are not sauced or glazed and fair well?

No, yes, maybe
It's hard to say. But I do know that Candy on a bone does pretty good ;)

2005 Jack Daniels First Place Ribs
2006 NEBS Ribs team of the year
2006 Rhode Island 1st Place Ribs
2006 Rhode Island 1st place Country Style Ribs
2006 Peter's Pond 1st Place Ribs
2006 Lake Placid 1st Place Ribs
2006 Harpoon 1st Place Ribs
2006 NKC 2nd Place Ribs
2006 Grill Kings 2nd Place Ribs

Steve

YankeeBBQ said:
No, yes, maybe
It's hard to say. But I do know that Candy on a bone does pretty good ;)

2005 Jack Daniels First Place Ribs
2006 NEBS Ribs team of the year
2006 Rhode Island 1st Place Ribs
2006 Rhode Island 1st place Country Style Ribs
2006 Peter's Pond 1st Place Ribs
2006 Lake Placid 1st Place Ribs
2006 Harpoon 1st Place Ribs
2006 NKC 2nd Place Ribs
2006 Grill Kings 2nd Place Ribs

Steve

Wow!
How did you say you cook your ribs?
That is a very impressive list.

I think I could tell you how Steve cooks his ribs . . . .I'm a little fuzzy on the topic, but nothing a little "palm grease" won't cure right up . . . . LOL

Rod

kcpellethead said:
I think I could tell you how Steve cooks his ribs . . . .I'm a little fuzzy on the topic, but nothing a little "palm grease" won't cure right up . . . . LOL

Rod

Is Steve still turning in those cryovac-ed pre-cooked Zarda ribs?? :lol:

There's no doubt we got some serious rib cookers here on the board....proud to have you as brothers...... (I'm broke, trying the flattery route.......:wink: )

kcpellethead said:
Lloyds precooked, presauced . . . . he's making the rest up :)

Rod

How many licks does it take to get to the bone on those?

Are you going sweet on the rub and on the sauce? Do you brine? Do you remove the silverskin before or after cooking? Give me something I can work with.

Wine & Swine said:
Are you going sweet on the rub and on the sauce? Do you brine? Do you remove the silverskin before or after cooking? Give me something I can work with.

First off--I am sure all competition cooks remove the membrane prior to cooking. Simple.

As to the rest, I am just thrilled when the top level guys here share anything I can use to get better.
I have found they will share a lot if we are just patient with them.

They could keep it all to a close or elite group, but....
I thank them.

The internet is wonderful, but getting out and cooking, learning, and listening is much more valuable.

As Rod says--"it is a process". There is no recipe or silver bullet to the Championship stage :lol:

JMHO.

TIM

Wine & Swine said:

I prefer sweet on the rub and in the sauce. I do not brine. Remove the silverskin before rubbing/cooking.

number 1 rule of the rib club.............
Dont talk about the rib club...........
On that note.
I want in lol..
My ribs come out pretty tasty, but i can never get a good glaze on them . of course i just sauce mine bout 20 min before i pull em out. they usually dont look as pretty as the ones yall posted.
should i thin out my sauce for the glaze? or do u make a glaze out of other ingreidents besides the sauce?

Tim, you'd think it would be a no brainer to remove the membrane. However, last week in Madison, both my table and my wife's each had one entry with the membrane still on. It really hurts the old tenderness/texture score. I really got the impression some teams are there just for fun, and they don't really care that much about what they're turning in. Or maybe they just made ribs/bbq at home, and everyone told them how great it was, so they're convinced that they're going to win with that.

cmcadams said:
Tim, you'd think it would be a no brainer to remove the membrane. However, last week in Madison, both my table and my wife's each had one entry with the membrane still on. It really hurts the old tenderness/texture score. I really got the impression some teams are there just for fun, and they don't really care that much about what they're turning in. Or maybe they just made ribs/bbq at home, and everyone told them how great it was, so they're convinced that they're going to win with that.

Gulity.

I knew I was going to win and almost finished last in my first contest.

In my defence the three "celebrity" judges new jack about ribs.

I did remove the membrane though.

Live and learn, my ribs get better every time I cook them.

I always have removed the membrane but this was a big point of contention by Jack McDavid in Will's rib demo last weekend. His two reasons against were it helps hold the rack together (not sure about that) and that it is much easiers to remove after cooking.

Back