first high temp brisket with pics

Ceedubya

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Tried out the high temp brisket tonight. simple prep, just S&P and my own rub. brought the magnum up to 350 and threw on the brisket.

Brisket was a 5.6 pounder from Costco. removed the heat diffuser and water pan and cooked direct over the coals like a UDS.

end result was a moist, tender, piece of meat with a ton of flavor. If its this good just throwin the thing on, I'm gonna experiment with some injection recipes.

on to the pics!

brisket

Picture496.jpg

trimmed and rubbed

Picture498.jpg

charcoal basket with kingsford and pecan

Picture500.jpg

down the barrel

Picture502.jpg

ready to cook

Picture504.jpg

brisket on

Picture506.jpg

turned every 1/2 hour

Picture508.jpg

1.5 hours, 160-170 degrees internal, into the foil

Picture510.jpg

took to 190, and back onto the grill to finish

Picture511.jpg

Picture512.jpg

ready to rest

Picture513.jpg

ready to slice

Picture514.jpg

sliced and ready, not much smoke ring but JUICY!

Picture515.jpg

Picture518.jpg

ready to eat:grin:

Picture519.jpg

Who needs a smoke ring if the taste, tenderness and texture is there.

That is a great looking brisket how long did it take to cook it also looks pretty moist

My last 2 have been high temp...that's the way to go for me.

What was your total time?

Nothing wrong with that - looking at those pics - you can almost taste it! Great job!

Nice looking brisket! Like they said, if the taste is good then that smoke ring is plenty for me.

Right on!

Hey - so you didn't inject this one? How about sprays, mops, etc. to keep it moist outside the foil?

Attachments

• angrygod.jpg
    angrygod.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Looks great! I wouldn't worry about the smoke ring, it's the flavor that counts!

The last time i tried doing a hi temp i ended up with a door stop.

I think I recognize that pit. Were you at the Boulder City, NV comp the last couple of years? BBQ Nerds, perhaps?

looks great, i've been doing fast briskits the last 6 times now & i can't tell the difference between 14hrs & 6hrs of cooking time. This is the way for me, the only thing i doo differently is i add a little more wood chunks for some smokey taste since i was thinking the outter crust builds up quicker and does not allow for the same smoke ring i get on longer cooks.

That is a great looking brisket how long did it take to cook it also looks pretty moist

I put it on at 3:50 PM and took it off just after 7:30, so just under 4 hours. Ran 350-370 at the lid the entire cook. Yes, it was very moist :p

Right on!

Hey - so you didn't inject this one? How about sprays, mops, etc. to keep it moist outside the foil?

Nope, wanted to do one straight up for the trial run. Next time gonna try one injected, and one in a marinade and will probably mop at least once. As fast as these cook, I don't know if a mop is required.

I think I recognize that pit. Were you at the Boulder City, NV comp the last couple of years? BBQ Nerds, perhaps?

Yep thats us, the BBQ nerds! :-D actually, we were the Reservation Rib Revival two years ago, and changed our names this last year. We are sticking with the nerds, as it fits :roll: I didn't make it this year, but Paul (the tall guy) and his cousin Mike (the short guy) were there. I plan on being back next year. Wern't you there two years ago with the BBQCzar cookin on a DPP 40? Paul said he talked to you and your wife there this year.

looks great, i've been doing fast briskits the last 6 times now & i can't tell the difference between 14hrs & 6hrs of cooking time. This is the way for me, the only thing i doo differently is i add a little more wood chunks for some smokey taste since i was thinking the outter crust builds up quicker and does not allow for the same smoke ring i get on longer cooks.

I was unable to tell the difference either, except the shallow smoke ring, but of course I have cooked low and slow brisket with just as shallow of a ring. Taste was spot on, and just the right amount of smoke taste. I used that huge peice of pecan (which I have over smoked low and slow briskets with) and it really poured the smoke to it for the first hour. I think it came out about right as far a smokiness.

that is too cool, I wonder if you can do the same thing with a FEC?

Back