Chuckies!!!

outside ed

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Good afternoon one and all, I have a question on a chuckie. What temp do you shoot for before taking off the cooker? I have the afternoon and evening to play with because I am alone and I wanted to experiement with this and some abt's. I appreciate all comments, concerns and heckling. Thanks, Ed.

I had a 3 in. thick chuckie and foiled at 180, off at 200, and put in cooler.

I sliced it and it was beautiful...:-D :-D

Attachments

• Picture 135.jpg
    Picture 135.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 186
  • Picture 137.jpg
    Picture 137.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 186
I've never stuck a thermometer into a chuckie, I always figured timing was more important. I do a 3 to 3 1/2 lb chuckie for 8 to 9 hrs at 225 or so, foiling about 2/3 the way through the cook. That's for pulled, not sliced though.

Looks wonderful Keale, mine is up to 130 with only being on for an hour. I'll [probably go another hour and through the abt's and fatty on and just drool till everything is done.:-D Ed.

Will the roast go through a plateau like a butt or brisket and then start climbing again. Thanks, Ed.

You're probably done by now, but yes mine did go through a plateau, it was stuck at about 175 for a while.

Where's your pics?

I smoked a couple of 2.5 lb chuck roast just yesterday. I foiled at 160 but I am thinking 170 would be better for a deeper smokey flavor. I checked for fork tender at 195. They were still very tough. I left the probe in just to see what fork tender would read.

I took them off at 210.

Rested in a cooler for two hours. Three hours may have been better.

Here are pictures from last night's cook. I had to wait till my daughter came home to show me how to do this. Thank you everyone for the information. Ed :-D :-D :-D

Attachments

• 100_4352.JPG
    100_4352.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 100_4353.JPG
    100_4353.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 100_4354.JPG
    100_4354.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_4355.JPG
    100_4355.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 122
Ed! that looks great!, but how did it taste? (like I need to ask!)
awesome, that fatty looks delicious! I havnen't made one yet, edible that is!:rolleyes: Those sausages go for 5.99/1# log!

Ed looks like great groceries! Here is a lil chuckie pron:

DSC00041.jpg

I did two thick chuckies yesterday. Took them up to about 130° or 140°, just enough to get a light smoke and color, then moved them to a covered roaster at 250° for a braise until they were just fork tender. The braising liquid was 1 jar of the pickled pepperoncini with the juice, 1 can of beef broth, 1 package Lipton onion soup mix and one package of Good Seasons Italian salad dressing mix. Added some water and beer until the level looked good. With smaller ones this can be done in foil, but a roaster or slow cooker works better so you can turn the roasts.

I chill overnight and skim the fat, then slice the beef for sandwiches using those crunchy hard rolls. The peppers go on and the gravy is for dipping.

DSC02724a.jpg

That looks good thirdeye. I love beef braised with those little pickled peppers.
Did you ever try using hot pickled Giardiniera instead of the pepperoncini?
That makes a good braise too.

That's some good lookin grub Ed! Did the chuckie turn out as you'd hoped?

That looks good thirdeye. I love beef braised with those little pickled peppers.
Did you ever try using hot pickled Giardiniera instead of the pepperoncini?
That makes a good braise too.

That's good too. Some brands really have a kick to them. I 've also thrown in a couple handfulls of good olives and garlic cloves. I think it's that little kick of vinegar I like in beef braises sometimes.

Back