Bánh mì

How can such a great sandwich be so cheap? Why look a gift horse in the mouth?

it's amazing. (i don't actually expect her to come off her sausage recipe and even if she did, i wouldn't stop eating at her place.)

even more amazing is, very very very few people down here even eat them. as big as poboys are here, these aren't even a blip on the radar.

We have a large Vietnamese community in Nashville and have many fine Vietnamese restaurants. One of the best has a barbecued pork bahn mi for -- drum roll -- $2.75! and it's in pharkin credible.

On a lighter note I went to school in Bay Shore and went all through school with a girl named Donna L'hommedieu. Unusual name. Any relation?

Probably a very distant relation. "Lhommedieu" is the old French version of my name. They were Huguenots that fled France for Germany due to religious persecution in the 16th and 17th centuries. Later the name became Germanized to "Lamade." A few branches of Lamades emigrated to the United States in the mid to late 19th century, but there are still branches of the original family near Baden-Baden.

Six dollars is just a guess for the price of a Banh Mi in Flushing; I'll just have to go back to confirm the price - it is a large sandwich, though...

Fortunately there are a lot of Asian markets in the area, and I suppose that I could make my own if I had the yen.

Back