Help with Smoked Pork Tenderloin

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Need some help on smoking a pork tenderloin - the wife informed me today that we were having 18 or 20 folks over for smoked pork tenderloin on Saturday evening. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

just to clarify....are you talking tenderloin or loin? that might help us. If tenderloins, I prefer to grill them. Pork loins, take to 140 then foil and rest for 20 mins or so.

Kosmo's pork soak got two in fridge now for cook later. Step one buy the meat.

In my experience in smoking pork tenderloin they tend to dry out and get pretty tough on the outside, much like a boneless chicken breast. I would recommend making sure it is indirectly cooked, if using a UDS maybe add a cedar plank or other wood directly under it to protect it. Only smoke it for 45-1hr max wrap in foil with apple juice and continue to cook until 140-150. Let rest then slice up.

Hope this helps.

porktenderloin.jpg

Marinated these in Ken's Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette overnight. Never had so many compliments.

Going to smoke Pork Tenderloins - not Pork Loins. Had hoped to smoke with cherry wood, indirect heat. Any suggestions regarding time/temperature/rub v. marinate, would be greatly appreciated.

Butterfly the tenderloin out to about 1/2" steak. Layer Italian sausage, portabela mushroom slices, fresh minced garlic, green pepper slices, your choice of cheese and your bbq rub. Roll it up and hold it together with bacon and toothpicks and bbq rub again. Smoke at 225 F for about an hour or so. Wrap in foil and continue cooking to internal temp of 140 - 150 F. Turns out wonderful and don't be skimpy on the cheese. My wife says this is the best and should be in a 5 star restuarant menu. It truly is good. Don't leave the tenderloin more than an hr. since it really soaks up the smoke flavor!

Butterfly the tenderloin out to about 1/2" steak. Layer Italian sausage, portabela mushroom slices, fresh minced garlic, green pepper slices, your choice of cheese and your bbq rub. Roll it up and hold it together with bacon and toothpicks and bbq rub again. Smoke at 225 F for about an hour or so. Wrap in foil and continue cooking to internal temp of 140 - 150 F. Turns out wonderful and don't be skimpy on the cheese. My wife says this is the best and should be in a 5 star restuarant menu. It truly is good. Don't leave the tenderloin more than an hr. since it really soaks up the smoke flavor!

raco, question..do you precook the sausage? if not, how do you make sure sausage is safely cooked yet tenderloin is only at 140/150? I like sounds of that recipe

Because of the size they will cook pretty fast. i like to make a marinate of 1/2 cup soy, 1/4 cup honey, 3 gloves of garlic, 3 tablespoons of fresh minced ginger and 3 tablespoons of fresh chopped rosemary. Let them marinade as long as possible in a zip lock bag, this amount of marinade takes care of one of those two pack of tenderloins so you may need to make more. Take the tenderloins out and smoke to your preferred doneness, while smoking bring marinade to a boil for a few minutes and then use as a dipping sauce. This is an awesome dish, really impressive for guests!

There just isn't enough fat in a tenderloin to stay moist for a low temp cook. Brine them or marinade them and grill them to 145 internal, rest, slice and serve.

There just isn't enough fat in a tenderloin to stay moist for a low temp cook. Brine them or marinade them and grill them to 145 internal, rest, slice and serve.

I agree with Ron. Grill them with some wood chips for smoke.

I wish I had seen this before I started my smoked meatloaf for dinner tonight.

Oh well there is always tomorrow!

Grill them with some wood chips (I like hickory with pork) and a little lawrys garlic salt.

Here is a tenderloin thread I did recently.
Thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92439
I use fresh garlic, salt and an herb paste rub.
Glad to share more details if desired.

I am in the camp of grill vs. smoke
Though, I add pecan wood when I grill them, and that does indeed give some smoke flavor
and some nice color.

Few important facts to remember about pork tenderloin(not pork loin)
1)It is the tenderest part of the pig, really does not need a long marinade by any means.
Long marinades with acid(lemon, vinegar, etc) can make the meat mushy, especially on the perimeter of the roast.
So be selective if doing a long marinade.
2)As mentioned above, it can dry out fairly quick and toughen if over cooked or over smoked.
3)They easily accept smoke, so some chips or a chunk of wood while grilling will do wonders.
4)Let them rest for at least 10 minutes with a light tenting of foil.
5)Most folks on the thread are saying grill them instead of smoking for these reasons.

A pic of them grilled with a little smoke wood added. Seared each side for a few minutes, then moved to indirect heat.
Pulled at 140F. Anything over 140 and you start to toughen em up.
These were AMAZINGLY juicy, which you can see on the plate.
x50-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
DSC01182ra.jpg

I like to brine my tenderloins (and loins too), but I've been doing a series of test cooks with my Lite Brine which is injected into the tenderloins, and then the tenderloins go into a zipper bag with the rest of the brine for 1-1/2 hours. I've been doing two at a time and mixing a quart of the injection/brine. I grill them until they are 140°-145°.​

The recipe is 7/8 ounce of sea salt
2t of brown sugar
1 Quart of water​

DSC01169a.jpg

DSC01173a.jpg
[/CENTER]

[CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%2013/DSC01175a.jpg​

DSC01180ra.jpg

@THIRDEYE
I have never injected, but would like to try your procedure.
Do you basically fill the tenders with the full quart?
Approx 1/2 the solution in each?

Thanks

also.. they look great, as usual :thumb:

@THIRDEYE
I have never injected, but would like to try your procedure.
Do you basically fill the tenders with the full quart?
Approx 1/2 the solution in each?

Thanks

also.. they look great, as usual :thumb:

Here is how I do it.... I heat 1 cup of water in the microwave and dissolve the salt and sugar in it. Then I add 3 cups of iced water to that to chill it down. It goes in the freezer if it needs cooling more.

Then I inject 3 or 4 syringes full of the brine into each one, do this in a pan as you will get some leakage, then I transfer the loins into a zipper bag. The remaining brine gets dumped in (including any from the pan) and the bag goes in the fridge for 1-1/2 hours. Then I rinse them off, dry, season and grill.

:becky:Sorry about not getting back to your questions earlier, but I had a Cubscout campout to get ready for this past weekend. The sausage is not pre-cooked. Just put a raw layer on the tenderloin, along with the other ingredients and you will be fine, it will be cooked when you take it off. Let me know how it turns out, I bet anything you'll love it!

Back