uh oh uds never got hot enough

fsckedagain

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So, uhhhh. I think I may have a problem. I went to bed last night after throwing on a cross rib roast and pork shoulder. Long story short the uds never got back above 180 from what I can tell. It was 230 when I put them on, but for some reason never went back up. Can I save this or do I need to toss the meat.

As long as it didn't drop below 140 you can save it. Sounds like you have a airflow prob with the uds how many intakes and what size how large is your exhaust?

No, it never went below 140, I don't think. I have 8 1" exhausts and 3 1 1/2 intakes 1 fully open and 1 partially open.

my lower than expected temperature moments are usually caused when I forget to gently kick the bottom of the drum to knock some ash out of the firebox.

8 1" exhausts is like an 8" hole in the top of it, thats a big exhaust. Not sure if that would cause low temps, was it new fuel? and what kind of fuel were ya using?

I would say it all depends on what the meat temp was and how log it stayed below 140.

No Stiffy, 8 1" holes is not anywhere near the same as an 8" hole. Use the formula pye X radius squared

I havn't the time to figure it out exactly right now, but think of it this way. Eight quarters is a lot less in area then a saucer.

huh?

No Stiffy, 8 1" holes is not anywhere near the same as an 8" hole. Use the formula pye X radius squared

a 1 inch hole or 1x3.141593 x 8 holes = 25.16744
is not the same as
an 8 inch hole or 8x3.141593 = 25.16744?
looks the same to me.
Too much out, not enough in in 1.5x3.141593x3 =14.4371685 half of that leaves 7.06858425 less than a third of your out put was being replaced. Choke up your output should increase your temps or increase your intakes or both. You'll figure it out.

a 1 inch hole or 1x3.141593 x 8 holes = 25.16744
is not the same as
an 8 inch hole or 8x3.141593 = 25.16744?
looks the same to me.
Too much out, not enough in in 1.5x3.141593x3 =14.4371685 half of that leaves 7.06858425 less than a third of your out put was being replaced. Choke up your output should increase your temps or increase your intakes or both. You'll figure it out.

Your ignorant... And what's worse, your condescending. Or a smartass might be the word for it.
Your formula is flawed.
8-1 inch holes is 25.12 square inches
1-8 inch hole is 200.96 square inches
eight times more.
So if your going to take the time to post and make someone look stupid, use Google or a 5th grade kid so you don't make yourself look stupid and a jackass.

Area =pi*(r*r)

1" hole covers an area of 3.14159 * (0.5*0.5) = 0.7854 square inches
8 holes = 0.7854*8= 6.2832 square inches

while one 8 inch diameter hole covers= 3.14159*(4*4) = 3.14159 * 16 = 50.26548 square inches.

Least that's my math. If I'm wrong in calculating surface area ...... then bitch to http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/geometry-plane/circle.php

Yep, you got it right. Radius is half the diameter. The area of an 8" hole
is approx. 8 times the combined area of 8 one inch holes.

It sounds like his exhaust is equivalent to approx. 2.75" diameter....not very big, but not much smaller than my BSKD, but I doubt 8 1" holes draw the same, I would guess less.

So much for a hole is a hole is ahole. :thumb:

Last edited:
Your ignorant... And what's worse, your condescending. Or a smartass might be the word for it.
Your formula is flawed.
eight times more.
So if your going to take the time to post and make someone look stupid, use Google or a 5th grade kid so you don't make yourself look stupid and a jackass.

:doh: doh! He he he :thumb:

It seems to me like the ventilation is fine. It's at (or close to) what most people claim to use in their UDSs. So, I wonder if you used enough (or good enough) fuel or if there is something wrong with your fire basket?

Its been interesting since I saw this last, I think a photo of your fire basket would be nice.. maybe your fire was being snuffed out or fuel was damp?

Its been interesting since I saw this last, I think a photo of your fire basket would be nice.. maybe your fire was being snuffed out or fuel was damp?

Yeah, I am not sure. It actually finally went up to 230 and stayed there until I shut it off. It never went below 180, so I think the meat is ok. I will find out I guess when we eat it :crazy:.

I am still not sure what happened. This thing is usually solid as a rock, but it took like 9 hours for it to get to 200 then slowly crept up to 230-ish the rest of the day. Meat looked nice though :D

Think it's ok to eat?

just a thought here but have you checked your intakes to make sure nothing is blocking them? you think you had a couple holes open but maybe your were only running on 1/2 that.

Yeah I think what happened is I didn't have the intakes opened enough when I let it sit to come to the right temp and when I put it at the position I use for 230, it just took forever for it to get there. beer + wife + hot tub mod

Luvin it! - See bolded.

Ok so I dont' see where he was being a jackass or condescending at all. It seemed to me that he was wrong but was trying to help.

Also from my calculations your figures are off as well.

now I could be wrong but I see 8 - 1" holes coming in at 6.28318" And 1- 8" hole coming in at: 50.26544".

Also in my UDS I have one 2" hole with an area of just over 3 inches. That's quite a bit different than his area of opening at 6"....

Bottom line in my opinion is that he has way too much exhaust.

however I could be totally wrong... but I won't call anyone a jackass or anything like that....

PS if I had that much intake open on my UDS I would shoot way over 300*. This is why I don't think it was an intake opening issue.

Your formula is flawed.
eight times more.

Back