The pressure is ON. Fun cook in progress!

jdub

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Ok the story. One of my two offices is in a five star resort near Portsmouth NH. I have of course become pals with the chefs in the hotel. The Exec is also Exec for a large number of privately owned resorts from Montreal to Key West, he is based here.
For the last couple years, I have made a couple of pans of pork for lunch for the gang, and he really digs it.
Last Friday I was at the hotel to talk to a client, and while walking through the kitchen Chef Dan waves me over. I got no time to talk but I head over. He opens an oven and he has a hoghead rendering down in a big pan in the oven. He bought a whole hog to get a few cuts of meat, but mainly to show the young guys the ins and outs of a hog. I had to run, but I wish I could have stayed in the kitchen all day with him.
Back over this morning, and I swing by his office to ask him about the hog. His eyes light up and he runs to the kitchen with me in hot pursuit.
We start with the head. Hand made, fresh headcheese. Out it comes and out comes the knife.
It has large layers of meat and fat, very lightly spiced, salt pepper garlic.
Its the most wonderful thing I have ever eaten off a porcine creature-hate to say-ever. Joy
The Pate! Now I am not a big organ meat fan, but it was delicious. The flavor was mild as was the spice. Garlic, pistachio nuts light coriander s and p.
I'm getting full. Oh wait, Garlic sausage! Rats, its frozen, here take some home.
Done yet? Pfft. Chorizo. AAAHHHHHHH WOWOWOWOWOW! Its 9:30 in the morning, and I am getting pretty full.

OK last thing. Both Loins. They have been cured in a light cure and spice rubbed with a more delicate version of a pastrami rub. They are perfectly tied and beautiful.
So chef says, "hey you wanna put these on the smoker?" YIKES.
So I dashed home, pork in tow. Will deliver tonight.
I have the 4 loins on the WSM with a touch of hickory at 325. He wants them off at 145. The pressure is on.
L to R, Sausage, headcheese and pate.
DSC03857.jpg
On go the loins!

DSC03863.jpg

Dang! Don't you love when a plan you never had comes together?!?!?!

Good luck on the cook!

Wow, excellent score and those loins look terrific.

Dude, your job totally sucks! LOL. I bet you'll knock those out of the park! Congrats!

Great score! I love headcheese too. :-D

In my Southern drawl I must say OhhhWheeee, or must I saw Suuuwheee...It looks great...My great Aunt made a wonderful spicey Head Cheese..Amazing..Enjoy Brother enjoy

Gotta love charcuterie. Those loins look awesome and I am looking forward to the after pics.

Porl loin pastrami style. Darn interesting stuff. We are going to chill them overnite, slice real thin, and heat the meat by dipping in a pan of hot veal stock. Serving on Rye and either a mustard aoli or a mild horseradish.
Can't wait till tomorrow.

DSC03864.jpg

You lucky dog!!! Everything looks great, congrats on a great score!!!!

Back