Beef Chuck Sort Ribs, What would you do?

Guando

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am smoking some beef chuck ribs for Father's Day and was looking for some advice. We plan on eating at 4pm and we have to be out of the house around 9am for a few hours. Yoder will run on its own but my neighbor will be around to make sure of no disasters. I have a little over 19 pounds of beef chuck ribs. Looks like four cuts with four bones each. Pic to follow. So here are the questions?

What temp would you recommend for the cook and what time would you put it on?

Do you think 2 four bone cuts will be good for 7-8 people?

Thanks for your help.

6caadc15e775ea85805884f579776c9b.jpg

badfcf98438893d7c704664fe94648b9.jpg

Those look killer. 70% of this site now hate you for possessing those beauties. lol

There is 0% chance there were any better ones to be had.

I will be at RD next weekend getting me a case of Beef Ribs for sure!!!

I smoke at 290* to 300* for 4 to 6 1/2 hours depending on the size of the racks. Shorties are really good. I don't know if two racks will be enough for 7 to 8 people. I'd smoke them all. Leftovers are REALLY good.

I just made some chuck short ribs today that were great. I put a rub on them and coated them with mustard and let that set up overnight in the refrigerator.
Today I Smoked them at somewhere between 275 and 300. I was fighting the wind a bit today. Anyway, every 15-20 minutes I would mist them with beer. After about two hours the bark looked about right so I placed them bone down in a foil pail with more beer. Not enough to braise them but just to add some moisture. I covered the pan and kept cooking the ribs for another 3 hours. I let them rest for about 15 minutes and dipped the top of the ribs in the pan drippings before serving. They were delicious.

Cook at 275-300 to tender its that easy. I would now wrap in foil kills the bark you worked so hard to achieve. Its basically like cooking a brisky just cook to tender. For rub 50/50 kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper is all that's needed. Good luck...

I cook 300 for 4 hours, wrap in BP, then 1-2 hours until probe tender. SPOG only. Basically, Bludawgs KISS brisket recipe.

Did 30# last week this way....

You've already got the right advice. Treat them like brisket point, and you are good. Those look like they are going to be great. Nice price too.

I ended up doing all four and invited some more people over. Thank you for all the feedback. I smoked at 250 for 5 hours and then bumped to 275 for a total of 6:30 hours. The came out really good. I may have overshot a little because I didn't take off the membrane and when I was probing it I kept hitting it and thinking it wasn't probe tender... Didn't take me long to realize my mistake but I was kicking myself for it... Here are some pics of the cook and finished product.

Those ribs look great. Just cooked a brisket and brisket is great but sometimes you want a hunk of meat with a bone in it. Did I say those ribs look great?

If you can slice it, it ain't overcooked.

Brisket takes a little more time, but exactly the same. Mine takes an 30 minutes to cook, but at 250.... it will be longer. lol

Back