THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jester

Full Fledged Farker
I've only been to the Houston Live Stock and Rodeo cookoff on a couple of occasions. From what I remember (spent mucho time at the Crown tent), it seemed like a lot of fun. Other than that I have no real idea what they are like and how they operate (aside from the different meat divisions). What happens with all the food that is cooked, how are things judged, and is it always a party like the aforementioned event?

No thats a big time one
There are SO many events in your area
Gulf Coast and IBCA
Heck it is take your pick every weekend out there

If you want to find all there is to know about comps just find an upcoming event in Houston and call the promoter or the head judge and volunteer to be a judge. That will give you a good idea how it all works, you can go around and chat with the cooks plus you get to eat some good Q

Jester, that is the EXACT same cookoff that got me started. I was always an attendee at the KILT tent. After walking about for a while, I was hooked. Wait until you actually start competing, you'll know of the sickness then!!

Hey Jester,
The Barnesville BBQ & Blues(FBA) is 25&26 of April, I need a dishwasher. You can see first hand how a FBA comp goes down. Even if you don't sign on as d/w you are welcome to a cold one at the Barnesville Blues Brothers site.

Hey Jester,
The Barnesville BBQ & Blues(FBA) is 25&26 of April, I need a dishwasher. You can see first hand how a FBA comp goes down. Even if you don't sign on as d/w you are welcome to a cold one at the Barnesville Blues Brothers site.

Hi Mike,
I will be at Barnesville. Do you have enough cold ones for me too? :biggrin:
I will be attending the judging class and hope I will be able to do my first judging there at Barnesville.

Ray

If you want to find all there is to know about comps just find an upcoming event in Houston and call the promoter or the head judge and volunteer to be a judge. That will give you a good idea how it all works, you can go around and chat with the cooks plus you get to eat some good Q
Now that is an interesting idea. I do have a fairly refined sense of all things BBQ. I'll have to look into this and make a few calls. Thanks for suggesting this.
Jester If you want to find out just PM me and you can hang with us at the wild game cook off in three weeks?
Dustaway - PM Sent! And thank you for the invite.
Jester, that is the EXACT same cookoff that got me started. I was always an attendee at the KILT tent. After walking about for a while, I was hooked. Wait until you actually start competing, you'll know of the sickness then!!
Man I hear ya, the years that I've been to the Rodeo this is always the best part.
Hey Jester,
If I lived closer you would have a Grade A dishwasher at your service! Not sure if the wife would buy into me flying out there for such a job, since I hate doing them at home. Maybe I could come up with some kind of story as to why I need to travel - "Honey I've been offered a job as the Sanitation Security Officer, need to be gone over the weekend for the interview." Hmmm....might work...

Back