Pork Neck First Time? Make Some Tacos I Says.

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Cooked on the Akorn.

Rubbed them Saturday and let them sit in the fridge over night.
They cooked in smoke for two hours at ~300 then were panned and foiled with a large onion for another two and a half. I didn't add any additional liquids when I foiled them as I figured they'd make plenty on their own, which they did. Here's some pics.

necks1_zpsf7544afa.jpg

necks2_zps318c8276.jpg

necks3_zpsb31f4aa1.jpg

necks5_zpsc95808a2.jpg

Steamed the lens...

necks6_zpsa4bc5dda.jpg

necks7_zps6af490ea.jpg

necks8_zps6155b278.jpg

Done...

done1_zps77b7f6d6.jpg

done2_zps058afa3a.jpg

pulled...

pulled_zps804f02f3.jpg

Fixins...

sides_zps3f7f6e9e.jpg

plate_zps74b8d5b0.jpg

plate1_zps0cb13a9c.jpg

plate2_zps701a7868.jpg

Plated...

plate4_zps8b76d253.jpg

plate3_zps244d597f.jpg

These were fantastic. Got lots of compliments from Redhot last night. I've found a new meat for pulled pork tacos and other things. At what they typically go for at the Save-A-Lot (1.19/lb) they're an awesome cook even with the waste. Going to make some stock with the neck bones. And the Akorn? It's just too darn easy to use. If it weren't for the Cajun Bandit's capacity, I'd use it almost exclusively other than the Kettle.

Thanks for looking!

DeGuerre, those pork necks will make an excellent stock. Beware of the strength of the smoke however. Anytime I make stock with smoked bones I like to reduce it down quite a bit and then freeze it in an ice tray. Add one cube to a normal pot of soup or dish that call for stock and it adds a nice subtle smoke flavor without being overpowering.

Looks delicious! Love pork and beef necks for ragu, but now I may need to try for tacos!

DeGuerre, those pork necks will make an excellent stock. Beware of the strength of the smoke however. Anytime I make stock with smoked bones I like to reduce it down quite a bit and then freeze it in an ice tray. Add one cube to a normal pot of soup or dish that call for stock and it adds a nice subtle smoke flavor without being overpowering.

Excellent idea. Thanks, Warlord!

Man that looks gooood Guerry! I've never had pork necks before, I'd hit that repeatedly!

I would have thought a Bama boy would have tried these before...Best kept secret here in the deep south.

Love me some pork necks too. Yours looks danged fine Guerry!!

Back