Chicken on a stick

Bigdog

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I had some Asian grilled chicken on a stick last week at the Wichita Riverfestival and loved it. They basted them with a red sauce at the end and also gave them a brush of some brownish oily baste after they were finished cooking. Probably used thigh meet and must have brined and or marinated them first. Anyone have a recipe for something like this? I also noticed that they has a soy-like seasoning and siracha sauce on the side.

Something similar to yakitori? I regularly do them with chicken, beef, and salmon.

Something similar to yakitori? I regularly do them with chicken, beef, and salmon.

Yupper. Just no peanut sauce. Similar to what the street venders in NYC sell.

The brownish oily baste is probably sesame oil, fish sauce, and stuff.

Right but what do you think the stuff is?

If you're talking yakitori it's called "tare". I make the standard tare using, mirin, sake, soy sauce, and sugar.
Most Asian grocers sell bottled basting sauces in many flavors which you can use for this type of grilling.

Here's a shot from last weekend's cook I did. Here you see meatballs, beef (flat iron), and chicken (thighs).

P1070269_zps759dc0ae.jpg

Do you marinade the chicken?

BOW: I love your CHAD angle iron holding rack. :cool:

Do you marinade the chicken?

I usually do not, but you can, and traditionally they're not marinated. The pieces are small, and when grilled dry they tend to absorb the sauce as you baste them near or at the end of the cook.

Back