Knives

bobaftt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What do you guys consider the must have knives? I am leaning towards the forschner brand knives but I am not sure which ones I have to have.

What do you guys consider the must have knives? I am leaning towards the forschner brand knives but I am not sure which ones I have to have.

I only use the forschner. Never have used any other :-D

I just got some for Christmas- Chef's, slicer, and a parer. I think I want to add a boning knife to the set. I got the Victorionox Forschner

I personally use,

Forschner
6" narrow boning knife
6" wide boning knife
6" curved boning knife
14" granton slicer

Wustof
7-in. Santoku Knife

Forschner also, w/Fibrox grip

6" stiff Boning Knife
6" Med Flex Bonig
8" Chef's
14" Granton Slicer

Brent with QN4U sells a great Forschner set at a great price, he's a west coast caterer/comp cook and a really good guy...

The set is around 150.00 and includes a 12" slicer, 7" santoku, 6" curved boner, a paring knife, steel, and a nice quality roll...

google QN4U

6" curved flex boner
10" chef's
12" breaker
14" Granton edge slicer

All Forschner

Craig you should have gone by Smoky Mtn. Knife Works last week while you were in Pidgeon Forge. They carry pretty much everything Forchner makes. That is where I got all of mine. Good prices too.

Any thoughts on Henkel?

I've got a few JA Henkels International. Not the same as JA Henkels. Nicely balanced and easy to handle, don't hold an edge for chit. My advice is to stay away from the "International" variety. My favorites are a very old Dexter chef's knife that was my mothers, and a fairly new Wusthof slicer. Those two hold an edge for a long time. For utility (pairing knife) duty, my choice is the small Chicago Cutlery pairing knife. Nice thin blade that does, the job and cheap to replace. For a razor sharp flexible blade for duties like scoring a ham, it's hard to beat a Rapala fillet knife.

Your mileage may very.

Not to hijack the thread, but I did think of a follow up question.........

How do you store your knives? Do they come with sheaths? Do you have a pouch or bag? I was thinking about having a tool box with a removable tray and storing them in the bottom of the tool box. I'm not real thrilled with them all being loose in the bottom.

Mods: If this is too much of a new topic, please move as you see fit.

Not to hijack the thread, but I did think of a follow up question.........

How do you store your knives? Do they come with sheaths? Do you have a pouch or bag? I was thinking about having a tool box with a removable tray and storing them in the bottom of the tool box. I'm not real thrilled with them all being loose in the bottom.

Mods: If this is too much of a new topic, please move as you see fit.

Not off topic at all in my opinion, we're talking knives here. I store mine on big magnetic bars. That keeps them safely separate from bumping into each other.

I have all Forschner knives, IMO if you're getting started I would recommend:

The paring knife
The 8" chef's knife
The bread knife

I have the above, plus the boning knife, the cleaver, the 10" chef's knife, santoku knife, and I'm itching for the 12" granton slicer. I carry them all in a knife bag like the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Henckels-16-S...RFMK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1230608606&sr=8-3

I'm going to plunk down some cash for a nice chef's knife pretty soon, but the Forschner will still get heavy use. You simply can't beat their value for the price.

I'm a Global knife fan, and I'd go with Jeremaih's choice of knives (along with the boning knife and cleaver) but throw in a 18cm (7") veg knife as well

874191_m.jpg

I use it in place of a chefs knife.

In the kicken I keep them in a block, if I'm cooking around a mates house I normally just roll one or two in a tea towel.

I do have a Global knife case but I do feel a little bit of a prat turning up with it!!!

I am using a soft wrap aroud case to hole the knives in place and from getting damaged

I store mine on big magnetic bars. That keeps them safely separate from bumping into each other.

Same here. Magnetic bar at home and a roll bag for when I got to take the show on the road.

I reckon I will be the odd man out here. I keep all of my knives in a drawer with no protection. I gave up trying to get the wife to put them into the sheaths. I then bought a Chefs Choice M130 so when the knives get dull I can make them shave in about 10 seconds each. My country club chef brother gives me chit for it but by the time he hones his $150 Henkles I can have half a deer boned with my machine sharpened Forschners.:biggrin:

Back