View Single Post
Old 03-21-2005, 02:08 PM   #5
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Your chimney should be wide open.

Take the sand out from under the firegrate or raise the grate up with something - rock, 1/2 bricks, etc. Open your vents - full open to start and then down to 1/2 or smaller as the chamber comes up to temp. Don't close the chimney damper except as a last resort to snuff a fire down.

" Edited since I seem to be the only person that has zero success with the Minion method in a sheet metal horizontal." Do it their way and then make a simple bakset and see if my way just might work. :D

Extend the chimney down to the cooking grate with a split juice can or a piece of aluminum flashing formed into a roll.

If your wood is nice and dry you can use it to supplement the charcoal or burn all wood - however, an all wood brn takes a lot of attention.

Basically it sound like you're not getting air flow and may just have too small of a fire.[/b]

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote