acceptable meat

eagle697

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am gearing up for the first comp of the season this weekend in Thomaston. ONe of the guys on the team has started a bbq restaurant and we were going to get meat from his store and use for the comp. My questions is this: The buts, ribs, and brisket he gets comes in cases that are sealed as a whole, not individually. As we will not be cooking a whole case if any of these, would it be acceptable to bring the meat in gallon or two gallon zip bags, as long as we brought the tag from the cases of meat to show that they are usda approved? To me, this is no difference than pre-trimming chicken and bringing the label. By the way, this is a FLorida BBQ comp, if it matters. THanks for the help

Usually it will be fine but check with the contest organizer.

In some instances, the local health department may be present in addition to the regular inspection by the sanctioning body and it could be a PITA.

You don't even have to bring labels. That's really ridiculous that some meat inspectors require it.

PM Rub I think does a lot of those comps.He should be able to steer you to the correct answer.

Hey Eagle...
I have competed in FBA comps in the past with "case bought meat" and only brought the meat and the "label" off of the case and had no problem.
Just to be safe PM rub to make sure.

Good luck and come by for a cocktail with the Barnesville Blues Brothers...

I've never had a problem... Of course, all the case meat I get from RD is cryo-sucked execpt for the chicken... That I cryo-suck after trimming....

I've only been asked once for a label and that was on pork.... He wanted to confirm the weight... I handed him a double butt cryo that I knew was close to 16 pounds and he told me 'Never Mind'....

You don't even have to bring labels. That's really ridiculous that some meat inspectors require it.

From the FBA Rules MEAT INSPECTION - All meats must be USDA or state DA inspected and passed. ......

We use the labels as evidence that the meat passed USDA or DA inspection. If you open the original wrapper and repackage save the labels and bring them with you. If you use meat from a case and the individual pieces are not labeled then tear off the label from the box and bring it with you. Not hard to do and it will suffice to pass the rules of the Sanctioning body (FBA).
Does anyone know of another way to show evidence of USDA or DA inspection without the labels?

Ray

Back