55 Gallon Drum Prices

coachmccoy543

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed the price of drums right now. I am getting ready to start on a build and called the local containger store after looking on their website and finding the price of an open head drum doubled. Thought that was a mistake and called the store said they wouldn't have any until after the 1st of the year. Looked on Graingers site and they want like $150+ for a barrel. What gives?

Feed stores, Bulk oil distributors, ask the owner of the local cafe( Most have a few sitting around for fry oil) look in the Yella pages under drum or barrel, check with the local Impliment dealer(JD, Case, Cat...) I can get reconditioned drums for 25 ea & I live in the middle of no where.

I don't have a clue as to why the new ones are going for so much right now.

Check steel recyclers/scrap yards. I got mine for $7.50, unlined and labeled for biodegradable kosher coconut oil. Just gotta look, they are out there.

For those of you in DFW

http://www.texasbarrelsupply.com/steelbarrel.shtml
$15 to $25

I was looking at Uline but they want $108.

The big question is can I fit a barrel in the back seat of a Nissan Maxima. If I can I avoid arousing the wife's suspension when I ask to borrow her SUV. If not it will get back to "do you really need another smoker". We all know the answer to that but she disagrees.

Mine was $27 from feed store - Used barrel and lid - but it did have red liner to burn out.

I'm getting open / lock lid barrels here for $10 a piece not dented up or anything. Nice barrels. The average I have been finding them down here in Southern Illinois for is $12-$15

Just because they have a red liner is not a reason to pass on a barrel. A couple of burn outs and you are good to go. In all reality and common sense, once it has had two good burn outs, any remaining liner is a moot point. If two hot fires that burn the outside paint off leave any liner on the inside, then the danger is gone. Once seasoned, the barrel will not get hot enough to burn the outside paint off from cooking on it, so it will not get hot enough to cause the left over liner to put off harmful fumes. The air you breathe on a normal day has more toxins in it than you would ever get out of a burned out barrel with a small amount of red liner left in it. You will get more toxins from a cheap smoker from Home Depot that is painted on the inside of the fire box than from your burned out barrel will ever emit.

I will now step down from my soap box and go fire up my UDS to cook some yardbird on that had about 1/8 of the red liner left after two burns on that I made over 2 years ago. 70 years old and still going.

Blessings,
Omar

I'd rather slip on a cow plop and land on my keister in a cactus then mess with a liner again. I guess I'm a lazy bastage I wont buy any drum with a liner Too much work!! It is much easier to wash out an unlined drum with the pressure washer & simple green on inside than it is to climb in with goggles earmuffs a dust mask a grinder and an extension cord your tripping over to remove all the scale after a burn out, but that is just me.

$25-30 max around here. A guy is selling 55gal all Stainless Steel drum for $150.

$30 here for reconditioned from bulk oil plant. Then found out my buddy has 80 of them stocked up at his shop that are in mint condition without the liner. He told to come take as many as I wanted. He gets all his brass shipped in to his plant in new 55 gallon drums (ammunition manufacturer)

I bought one at Lexington Container company a few months ago for $22. It was used with a clamp on lid.

i'm sure you are correct in a way. my problem is that I can't do burns where I live. any way I really need a 30 gallon one. 55 are just to big.

Just because they have a red liner is not a reason to pass on a barrel. A couple of burn outs and you are good to go. In all reality and common sense, once it has had two good burn outs, any remaining liner is a moot point. If two hot fires that burn the outside paint off leave any liner on the inside, then the danger is gone. Once seasoned, the barrel will not get hot enough to burn the outside paint off from cooking on it, so it will not get hot enough to cause the left over liner to put off harmful fumes. The air you breathe on a normal day has more toxins in it than you would ever get out of a burned out barrel with a small amount of red liner left in it. You will get more toxins from a cheap smoker from Home Depot that is painted on the inside of the fire box than from your burned out barrel will ever emit.

I will now step down from my soap box and go fire up my UDS to cook some yardbird on that had about 1/8 of the red liner left after two burns on that I made over 2 years ago. 70 years old and still going.

Blessings,
Omar

Back