Your best Mac n Cheese

Twelvegaugepump

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have been surfing around the Internet and searching these boards for Mac N Cheese recipes. I was hoping to find a unique recipe that was based on real artisinal cheeses (I am from WI after all.) There are a lot that are based on Cheese Soup or Velveeta. The opening of the Wisconsin deer season is next Saturday and due to some things I need to get done at work and classes that I am taking to get my MBA, I am not going to be hunting. However, I will be up at the cabin cooking ribs, chicken and hopefully some Mac N Cheese for the guys who are out pounding the brush that day. My UDS is taking a 2.5 hour road trip north! Any suggestions for a Mac N Cheese that is out of this world???

I will be watching this thread, because I love mac and cheese, and I too am looking for a really good recipe. The good stuff -- thick and cheesy. Really good mac and cheese is a meal all by itself.

CD

Thanks morgaj1, that was exactly what I was trying to make. Deer camp will be so impressed. Serving that with a few McChicken and McRib sandwiches, I should be have the whole Chicken and Ribs thing nailed. It will save me from having to drag the UDS up north too!

My wife makes mac-n-cheese based on a Paula Deen recipe, and it is K-I-L-L-E-R!!! The only thing I remember about the recipe is that it uses 4 sticks of butter! :shock: Seriously, though, it is great! Here's the link...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/the-ladys-cheesy-mac-recipe/index.html

I asked her what she did differently, and she said:
more butter, more mac, more cheese, more salt, more sourcream, add pepper. She also said she adds an extra egg. Basically, add more of what you love!

Hope this helps!

I have used AB's recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe/index.html

My 10yo nephew who is the world's foremost connoisseur of mac n cheese said it was the world's best! Doctor it up however you see fit - bacon, jalapeno's, sausage, scallions, whatever and play with the cheese mix too. I have used sharp cheddar, gouda, gruyere, and romano once, and that was my personal fav. I like the set kind of mac, not the runny kind, so sometimes I throw in an extra egg. I think it is hard to fark up mac though - most versions seem to taste great!

Wow, thanks everyone. Looks like a ton of great options. It's funny, but when I search for recipes on the web (BBQ or not), I like to add the word "blog" or "personal favorite" to my search terms, to try to weed out the plethora of recipes that are just dumped on the Internet. Hearing the stories behind the recipes and the testimonies from all of you makes the recipe very personal and it has some merit when someone actually says it is their favorite. Thanks for all of the fast responses. I am tempted to make a batch tomorrow just to see how things go before next weekend. I don't tend to spring a new recipe on a group, I like to try it once first. However, as I said above, having a personal story behind it makes it less risky. Thanks!!

I keep mine simple. a basic bechamel sauce with lots of shredded cheese. I really like adding swiss cheese

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

I got one or two of each pepper the grocery store had to offer, smoked them for two hours then seeded and chopped them. Used Asiago, parm, pepper jack and velveeta, one pound of cooked crumbled bacon and mixed them all together with cooked noodles.

Then I smoked them at 225 for two hours....first time was a little strong as I had fresh smoke going, next time turned out less smoky and absolutely delicious. I love me some smoked pepper mac n cheese.

macncheese.jpg

If I knew how I would link this, but go to the Throw Down 2010 week 35, MadcityJim winning entry is the BEST MacnCheese recipe I have ever made. No process cheese just pure goodness. If someone with better computer skills then I can link this, it is worth sharing with everyone again.

refried mac and cheese!
make any mac and cheese then cool. add crumbled up pig candy and shredded cheddar to it as you reheat in a frying pan!

Martha Stewart has a mac & cheese recipe that I will be making for thanksgiving. I don't have the link but will try and find it

Nothing fancy ... But I like throwing in a can of RoTel. Works well with smoke.
Nobody complains.

My mouth is watering after reading through this thread and following all the links. Just be careful how much smoke you put on the mac & cheese... it soaks it up like a sponge.

Hands down the best macaroni and cheese in the world is Emeril's. I make it all the time and it is one of my favorite dishes ever. It can get pricey because of the cheese (Parmigiano-Reggiano, fontina, gruyere, and cheddar), but so worth it. I use Barilla elbows because it has the ridges to help the cheese stick.

http://emeril.com/recipe/6829/Macaroni-with-Four-Cheeses

My wife makes mac-n-cheese based on a Paula Deen recipe, and it is K-I-L-L-E-R!!! The only thing I remember about the recipe is that it uses 4 sticks of butter! :shock: Seriously, though, it is great! Here's the link...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/the-ladys-cheesy-mac-recipe/index.html

I asked her what she did differently, and she said:
more butter, more mac, more cheese, more salt, more sourcream, add pepper. She also said she adds an extra egg. Basically, add more of what you love!

Hope this helps!

Paula's mac recipe is about as "back to basics" as it comes. It's a wonder that is as good as it is...how wonderful? It's only the best there is!

If I remember, I think I actually put one less egg. Too eggy for me otherwise. I'd have to make it by the recipe to remember for sure.

I have to say, it's almost too simple. Most folks would look at that recipe and look at a more complicated one with twice the ingredients and think Paula's couldn't be as good. Well believe me you're missing out if you think that. It's just good, down home mac.

I despise mac made from a cheese sauce. No stove top recipes for me. I want it custard based and baked.

Back