Best ceramic Pizza Cooker

pigout sc

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I know I am wearing everyone out with ceramic grill questions. I have a chance to pick up a primo XL at a good price but from what I have read it seems owners have mixed results with pizza, not sure if it is the setup or what. Looks like everything else from smoking to grilling is pretty equal to the egg and KJ. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks

I think any kamado-style cooker would do great with pizza as long as you can put a diffuser plate in it. My cheapo Akorn makes great pizza.

I know I am wearing everyone out with ceramic grill questions. I have a chance to pick up a primo XL at a good price but from what I have read it seems owners have mixed results with pizza, not sure if it is the setup or what. Looks like everything else from smoking to grilling is pretty equal to the egg and KJ. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks
I have a Vision (not a Primo) but I'm sure you'd be able to cook great pizzas on a Primo as well. It all comes down to knowing your cooker and cooking method. I've make the best pizza I've ever eaten on my Vision but then again I've also made pizza with burnt crust. Slight changes in temp were the only difference. (500 degrees = Best, 600 degrees = burnt crust and I even reduced the time on the stone) This was one of the good ones.

IMG_3290.jpg

From what I hear from primo xl owners, this kamado is the chiz...

Gonna be a learning curve with any new kamado, smoker, lover. Car, etc....

I have owned a pizzeria, mobile wood fired pizza oven, and just recently bought a ceramic Kamado type cooker. With time and patience you will learn the nuances of your oven. There is no look it up in the book or online available for personal preference. Here is one of my pies, made the other night. I like it. It is sausage, mushroom, and fresh mozzarella.

pizza018_zps39a15bd0.jpg

Be patient, try variations. The first pies in the cook are almost sacrificial, they go to the oven Gods. Be prepared, have lots of time and above all.....ENJOY.
That's why we I do this. I am not Domino's
Jed

Like other ceramic cookers, the XL will crank out a tasty pizza. I don't have any pics to share, but rest assured you won't be disappointed. My only tips:

You don't have to have your grill cranked up to 8 bazillion degrees to get good pizza. 450-500 will allow you to get crispy crust without worrying about burning it.

Use deflector plates and try to raise your pizza stone off the grates. A ceramic brick will do nicely.

The Primo glazed pizza stone, while pricey, is pretty damn good. I've had mine for two years and the glaze is still holding up and allows for really easy cleaning.

That makes sense. I noticed they now have a non-glazed pizza stone as well.

Like other ceramic cookers, the XL will crank out a tasty pizza. I don't have any pics to share, but rest assured you won't be disappointed. My only tips:

You don't have to have your grill cranked up to 8 bazillion degrees to get good pizza. 450-500 will allow you to get crispy crust without worrying about burning it.

Use deflector plates and try to raise your pizza stone off the grates. A ceramic brick will do nicely.

The Primo glazed pizza stone, while pricey, is pretty damn good. I've had mine for two years and the glaze is still holding up and allows for really easy cleaning.

I'll second all of that. And here's a picture...

IMG-20121031-00013.jpg

I dont think you can go wrong with whatever cooker you go with as others have said....damn you guys are killing me with these pizza pics

I don't think the Primo XL would have any issues at all with pizza. I have seen a lot of pizza cooking techniques in kamados and they all look good. One of the more interesting techniques I have seen involves using two pizza stones plus a diffuser. The diffuser is important to keep the base pizza stone from getting too hot and burning your crust. People who have the extended cooking racks sometimes put a pizza stone on there as well and that hot stone helps cook the pizza even faster as it will radiate heat from above at a closer distance than the kamado dome itself.

Back