Boneless Beef Ribs

zydecopaws

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
There is a large gravel pile in my yard where the smokers normally go and I had to find somewhere to set up a WSM if I wanted to smoke today. Mission accomplished…

IMG_1084.JPG

On the menu was beef chuck boneless ribs begging to be smoked. The ribs were lightly dusted with salt, pepper, Montreal Steak seasoning, and some granulated garlic.

IMG_1082.JPG

They were then put on the top grate of the 18.5″ WSM and left to cook for a few hours between 250-275°F.

IMG_1083.JPG

After about 3 hours they were nice and tender and registered on average 175°F when poked with the ORANGE Thermapen.

IMG_1086.jpg

I pulled them off, put them in a foil pan, and poured a little A1 sauce over each, then added about a cup of beef broth to the pan. The pan was then covered with foil and put back on the bottom grate of the WSM.

IMG_1091.JPG

We love corn on the cob steam on the grill, but I’ve never done it on the smoker before. I had already drained the water pan before putting the beef back on the grill, and the corn received the normal treatment for the grill (soaked in ice water for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking). I loaded up the top grate with corn, and 30 minutes later it was time to eat.

IMG_1089.JPG

The whole meal was delicious. The beef was tender and juicy, the corned steamed to perfection, and the leftover cabbage slaw from yesterday rounded out the meal.

IMG_1095.JPG

As you can see from the picture above, there was a great smoke ring on the beef. It was tender enough that I could have served it as pulled beef; I may still do that with the leftovers. Not bad for another day of two firsts; first time cooking both corn on the cob and this type of beef ribs on the WSM… :biggrin:

Wow, would have never thought of that one. Kind of like chuckie-nuggets. :-D
What temp do you think the chuck ribs were when you pulled them? And so total smoke time was about 3 1/2 hours? Geat job, and great pics!

Confused

I'm confused..........

After about 3 hours they were nice and tender and registered on average 175°F when poked with the ORANGE Thermapen.

I know what a Thermapen is, I even have one.

Is this special for boneless beef ribs, beef in general or a special edition for WSM cookers??????????

But do I need to trade mine in for a ORANGE Thermapen.

Looks like you got a good crew; to
enjoy the good food you made there.

mmm, chuckie nuggets, nice and smokey.

yep, but actually only the red ones are accurate and fast !

I'm confused..........

I know what a Thermapen is, I even have one.

Is this special for boneless beef ribs, beef in general or a special edition for WSM cookers??????????

But do I need to trade mine in for a ORANGE Thermapen.

Great looking meal, great smoke ring, never thought of putting the ribs in beef broth. I sure could go for a plate full :-D

yep, but actually only the red ones are accurate and fast !

Now you know ORANGE is the fastest :rolleyes:

Wow, would have never thought of that one. Kind of like chuckie-nuggets. :-D
What temp do you think the chuck ribs were when you pulled them? And so total smoke time was about 3 1/2 hours? Geat job, and great pics!

I didn't measure them again after I pulled them the first time. If I had to guess, I'd say they were in the 180 range as they weren't off the fire that long and although not technically foiled, were well covered in the pan. I could have made pulled beef out of them, but would have been better off leaving them on a bit longer for that; they were falling apart and pulled pretty easily but there were still a few parts that resisted.

Total time on the smoker was about 3 1/2 hours at 250-275 (WSM lid temp).

Back