Do you probe your steaks?

Twisted Martini

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Curious as to how you judge doneness with a steak. I'm afraid to probe it as it would let all the juice leak out. Do you probe, or just go with time and temp?

I wouldn't think one small hole would let all the juice run out. I suppose if you punch a bunch of hole in it could dry out. I don't pay a lot of attentiion to a lot of these TV expert.

I go by look and feel. Steaks only take a couple of minutes at my house since we all like them to bleed when you cut into them. :biggrin:

I've cooked a few steaks in my time...:becky:...I used to cook by time and temp...now I just cook by feel. :p So...no...I do not probe...NTTAWWT...:wink:

Purely by feel, just poke and know.

DSC06917-2.jpg

I have an ultra fast, itty-bitty, teeny-weenie, needle-like probe for my thermometer that I use on steaks and chops and the like. It's so gentle, I can temp a shrimp when I'm pan searing them.​

I've cooked a few steaks in my time...:becky:...I used to cook by time and temp...now I just cook by feel. :p So...no...I do not probe...NTTAWWT...:wink:

no, just by feel

Purely by feel, just poke and know.

Me too!

Now that being said some people have tons of experience cooking steaks. So I don't see anything wrong with using a small thin probe to check temp. The key is to learn the feel when you get the temp you like. That way, eventually, you'll not need the probe.

Remember too that different cuts of steak cook and feel differently than others.

You know you've got it wired when you cook you're steak and after resting when you cut into it the color is uniform top to bottom. The "done" part is even on both sides of the "rarer" middle.

Of course this all goes out the window if you like your steaks well done. Then just put it on and when it's charcoal take it off.

I judge by feel. Its close enough for me and the wife. although occasionally i overcook one...... practice, practice, practice.

Me too!

Now that being said some people have tons of experience cooking steaks. So I don't see anything wrong with using a small thin probe to check temp. The key is to learn the feel when you get the temp you like. That way, eventually, you'll not need the probe.

Remember too that different cuts of steak cook and feel differently than others.

You know you've got it wired when you cook you're steak and after resting when you cut into it the color is uniform top to bottom. The "done" part is even on both sides of the "rarer" middle.

Of course this all goes out the window if you like your steaks well done. Then just put it on and when it's charcoal take it off.

Good point above...a fillet will cook quite differently then a ribeye (fat content).

DSC06917-2.jpg

I have an ultra fast, itty-bitty, teeny-weenie, needle-like probe for my thermometer that I use on steaks and chops and the like. It's so gentle, I can temp a shrimp when I'm pan searing them.​
Something like that would last maybe 5 minutes in my kitchen, and then there would be the trip to the hospital and the tetanus shot...nice thermometer though.

A Hot Flaming Grill!!!! Charcoal, wood , you pick! Throw the Sucker on and let it Sizzle for about 1 minute, flip it and do the same. Take it off and let it rest for a few minutes.
Cut that Jack Head and let the Blood Run!!!!
I do not dip it in anything.
I want the warm blood taste.
That's what they call the "Real Rare Steat"!!!!!!!

Something like that would last maybe 5 minutes in my kitchen, and then there would be the trip to the hospital and the tetanus shot...nice thermometer though.

You know I thought the same thing too... the larger one is the same as they put in the Thermapen, and I bought the small one for delicate things. But actually I most likely use the smaller one 85% of the time. The really cool thing is, it has an internal magnet so I keep it on the fridge.

DSC01439a.jpg

No, just by feel. It's like a nice new York Strip will only bend a little at medium rare, straight as a board at well.

A Hot Flaming Grill!!!! Charcoal, wood , you pick! Throw the Sucker on and let it Sizzle for about 1 minute, flip it and do the same. Take it off and let it rest for a few minutes.
Cut that Jack Head and let the Blood Run!!!!
I do not dip it in anything.
I want the warm blood taste.
That's what they call the "Real Rare Steat"!!!!!!!

"Oh, just knock its horns off, wipe its nasty ass, and chunk it right here on this plate."

(from The Cowboy Way)

CD

Back