Tex-Mex Inspired Slaw

MS2SB

is Blowin Smoke!
I've been playing around with variations on traditional slaw recipes to more closely pair with the dishes I'm serving it with. Last night I did some pan seared black cod and wanted to pair it with a Tex-Mex/Baja style slaw. This is what I came up with

Dressing:
3T Light flavored olive oil
Juice of 1 -2 limes about 3T
2 cloves Garlic Minced
1/4-1/2 Jalapeno finely diced
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp Colman's Dry Mustard
12 tsp celery seed
Salt & Pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a glas container with a tight fitting lid and shake vigorously. Let sit for at least 1 hour before adding to salad and as long as 24 hours.

Slaw:
- 1 small head green cabbage shredded (I used savoy because I wanted a little softer texture than regular green cabbage)
- 2 carrots shredded
- 1-2 Cups jicama shredded (For those not familiar, jicama is kind of like a cross between a potato and an apple and it adds a nice crunchy texture to salads & slaws)
- 3-4 green oinons sliced
- 1 poblano pepper roasted and diced

Toss all the veg together and then coat with the dressing (I only used about 2-3 of it, but I like my slaws lightly dressed) and then let sit for the flavors to marry for about 1-hour before serving.

This was a great light tasting slaw with a lot of flavor and texture to it. It paired very well with the fish and would make a great addition to a lot of tex-mex/baja style dishes.

Sounds great, I would never have thought of using Celery seed, I do love celery.
Does the Jicama brown off like apple can ?

I've never had a problem with that. In this instance there's enough acid in the dressing to prevent that. If you can't find jicama, a granny smith apple would work as a substitute.

Same here. I think we have everything to make it, too. We'll have to give it a try tomorrow.

Back