Question for all you Lump burners

TroyA65

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I've order my first lump burner (MJH from Backyard BBQ) and he is the question. On my old electric smoker, I used to wrap my chips or chunks in aluminum foil to limit oxygen and make sure it smokes and does not flame. With a lump burner should I continue this practice? or do you folks just throw chunks right on the coals?

Thanks for the help!

What cooker do you have?

I'd just toss it in regardless. I mix in the chunks right in with the coals.

Chunks & mix. Chips will burn. Get the cooker up to crusin' speed before you toss the meat on and you're golden. Oh, don't soak either. Cheers!!!

I layer the chunks in with the lump so it burns at different times. I also find that just using lump with no chunks puts off a very subtle smoke flavor.

I also mix the chunks in with the lump and so far have gotten good results.

I just toss the chunks on top and it works okay for me :shrug:

Depends on the cooker I would think, but I just mix mine in with the lump before lighting on my Keg. Seems to work well.

I throw mine right on top. You'll get white smoke initially until your fire is good and hot. Don't put the food on until the fire is ready.

No foil. Bury them in the coals when you're filling the charcoal chamber.

I have done that before and get lots of white smoke initially, what am I doning wrong?

I throw mine right on top. You'll get white smoke initially until your fire is good and hot. Don't put the food on until the fire is ready.

teej has ya covered. I've been lazy and put that meat on with the white smoke and it wasn't all that bad. But you should probably wait for that thin blue smoke :icon_smile_tongue:

As others have said. Use chunks, no need to soak them. Get your smoker up to temp. before putting on your food and look for thin, blue, smoke also.

As mentioned, burn off that nasty white smoke....giver time. Wait till you get "sweet blue" light smoke and chuck your meat on. Oh and mix wood in lump.

I'll chime in with "mix lump and wood chunks" as well. It always works great for me...

Back