Judges scoring

Smokin' Gnome BBQ

is One Chatty Farker
I recently competed in a competition and judge # 6 in 3 catagories gave all 0's, does this mean there was only 5 judges at that table. we received high scores from the rest of the judges.Any one have any insite for a new guy?:eek:

I don't think that was KCBS sanctioned. Last week someone was looking for bootleg KCBS scoring program to score the contest so who knows what happened.

Who were the rep's?

I was one of the judges at leesport this past weekend, there were 16 judges total, one table of 6 and two tables of 5, that is were the 0's would come in to play I believe. Don't know that for sure, but I'll contact one of the reps and find out for sure to let ya know.

Just got email back from Red, the reason for the 0's is only because those turn ins went to a table with only 5 judges.

That doesn't sound right. They must have added some math to make it fair to the people with only 5 judges.

If you score a 5 from 6 different people you score a 30. If you score a 5 from 5 people you score a 25. Even if you remove the lowest from the table of 6 and not from the 5 it is still not right. Hope they at least had a multplier in there to get everyone on an even keel.

I'm not the familiar with how the whole system works, but I'm sure they have had an odd number of judges before at contest. I certain not all contest of exact multiples of 6 judges per table. I would imagine they have something in place in the scoring for when that happens.

This is a great example of why you should be a member of KCBS. Your small fee of $35.00 insures you don't have this situation.

To use five judges at some tables and six at other is NEVER fair. Even if they used a kcbs program which dropped the lowest score, you were stuck with the five scores given while others were allowed to drop a score.

Sanctioned contest by KCBS, MIM or IBCA insure a level of fair competition.

How did they determine which boxes went to which table. Did some teams have a repeat at the table with 6 judges. I would not feel I was treated fairly in this situation.

But that is only my opinion.
Merl

I agree with you Merl.

$35 is money well spent if you are a comp cook. Also another reason why I think that non-KCBS members should pay more at a sanctioned contest...

Scottie

This is a great example of why you should be a member of KCBS. Your small fee of $35.00 insures you don't have this situation.

To use five judges at some tables and six at other is NEVER fair. Even if they used a kcbs program which dropped the lowest score, you were stuck with the five scores given while others were allowed to drop a score.

Sanctioned contest by KCBS, MIM or IBCA insure a level of fair competition.

How did they determine which boxes went to which table. Did some teams have a repeat at the table with 6 judges. I would not feel I was treated fairly in this situation.

But that is only my opinion.
Merl

I am not sure how being a member of KCBS would help you in a non-KCBS scantioned event? Unless you are saying don't compete in any event that is not scantioned by KCBS!

Having siad that, they should have had 6 judges at each table. If you have to reduce the number of entries each table recieves I understand that but yeah, some teams get 6 scores and some get five!...Homers!:eusa_clap

This would have been a KCBS sanctioned event if MABA had 90 days to plan it. Tom and Red did a great job putting it together considering the time constraints. I saw alot of KCBS judges, and I bet most of the cooks are KCBS members. Not a bad job, considering the NJ State Championship was also going on in Wildwood that weekend.

They put that whole event together in just 6 weeks, that was pretty darn good I thought. All but 2 judges were certified, so that was pretty good too on short notice. If we weren't competing at franklin next weekend, we would have competed at Berk's. But it was still fun to judge.

It looks like it was a nice event and Tom generally puts on a great contest but. If you have no KCBS rep and no legal KCBS scoring program what do you expect.

Next season Wildwood will have about 10 spots up for grabs, I'm going bask to Wildwood.

They definately did the best they could with what they had. Apparently they had a hard time finding enough judges. And since it wasn't a KCBS event I guess we can't cry:cry: about not losing the lowest score.

It was a great contest. I was just wondering about the 0's. I am a new guy and wondered why some teams have 3 or 4 6 judge marks and i only had one.. thanks for all of the answers and advice. Next year if you get the chance do any contest Red and Tom put together, they are both class acts and the gigs are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they didnt have enough judges wouldnt it of made sense to have all the tables be 5 judges so it was consistent for all the teams?

Back