Success

Kurt5

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Just joined recently to improve my game. I've had a CharBroiler w/ SFB for a few years with spotty success. After reading up this week, tried some ribs and butt yesterday. Ribs were the best I've made, and we'll be eating pulled pig all weekend. Thanks for all the help!

Of course, after all this reading I really want a WSM or UDG, but for now I'll hone my skills on this PITA CG. I added a decent thermo at grill level and lowered the chimney intake. I'm thinking of making a charcoal box this week. How long of a burn time do y'all get with your charcoal boxes?

Attachments

• P1080023.jpg
    P1080023.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 77
  • P1080030.jpg
    P1080030.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 77
Oh, btw, I used the 3-2-1 method for the ribs and it worked perfectly. Foiled the butt when I took the ribs off.

The food is looking good. That my friend is a Stick burner adding a Charcoal basket to an already undersized fire box will only serve to add a whole new set of problems. It will restrict the air flow through the pit giving you a dirty smoldering fire and low temps. Raise the base of the fire by cutting 6 pieces of 1" angle Iron to 12.5" in length and but the one in the fire box. and top it with a piece of expanded metal. This will raise the base of your fire to the center of the intake. I light about 2 lbs of lump and add t splits to it to get to temp and 1 split about every 45 min to maintain the temp in mine. small movements of the intake vent once in a while is all that is required to keep it rock solid.

Back