THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crazy Tex

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Matt
Ok.. since the weather is supposed to be REALLY cold.. I figured I could try to keep my smoker temperature down where I could try to smoke some cheese.. I got Longhorn Cheddar. Any suggestions or tips before I try this?

First...have plenty of beer on hand. Second, when I get a block of cheese I cut it into far smaller pieces so there's more surface area getting the smoke. Once smoked, wrap tightly and keep it in the fridge for a week or 2. That mellows out the flavor....

Cream Cheese :thumb: You will thank me later.

Also, what are you smoking in and how are you generating smoke? Many of us use very simple smoke generators and my preferred method is a tin can filled with wood chips and a soldering iron to get it smoking.

just my regular smoker.. thought if I basically just lit one log of hickory on fire it would be cool enough??
I've done cream cheese before.. very yummy!

just my regular smoker.. thought if I basically just lit one log of hickory on fire it would be cool enough??
I've done cream cheese before.. very yummy!

I use a tin can and a cheap soldering iron with some wood chips to make cold smoke.

I like smoked Swiss a lot. Smoked Gouda is another favorite.

picture.php

CD

Soldering iron and can user myself.

I smoked some cream cheese to use in an artichoke dip, what other uses do people have for smoked cream cheese, or just like that on a bagel?

First...have plenty of beer on hand. Second, when I get a block of cheese I cut it into far smaller pieces so there's more surface area getting the smoke. Once smoked, wrap tightly and keep it in the fridge for a week or 2. That mellows out the flavor....
Nothing to add to that! Perfectly said down to the beer statement!:wink:

Ok.. since the weather is supposed to be REALLY cold.. I figured I could try to keep my smoker temperature down where I could try to smoke some cheese.. I got Longhorn Cheddar. Any suggestions or tips before I try this?

Seriously, the statement really cold should never need to be used by a Texan. I just looked at your ten day forecast and there is one day you might get close to 0, we will be lucky to get above 0 in the next ten days the way it looks. Yet I still use the grill and smoker every month of the year.

let us know how it turned out

whats the deal with smoking cream cheese?

Gonna be good... Cheddar is my favorite smoked cheese so far. As some one said pepperjack is also very good. I struggle to keep the temp low enough on my offset even with minimum fuel and cold weather. I have never been able to let it rest for 2 weeks though... I eat that stuff

Seriously, the statement really cold should never need to be used by a Texan. I just looked at your ten day forecast and there is one day you might get close to 0, we will be lucky to get above 0 in the next ten days the way it looks. Yet I still use the grill and smoker every month of the year.

Well, you live in Minnesota, where humans were never meant to live. :becky:

I have not smoked cream cheese, but plan to shortly. I like what smoke does to creamy cheeses. You have to be careful not to go too long with the smoke, but if you do it right, they turn out great.

As for cold in Texas, our homes are built to be comfortable in triple-digit temperatures, which is ALL wrong for 25 degrees. My living room has a 24-foot ceiling. Great in 105 degree heat, sucks in 25 degree cold. It's all about physics. Hot air rises, and that can be a good thing or a bad thing.

CD

used a tin can I found... no soldering iron so I light a few sticks and put them in it.. I pre -burned the can with my weed burner btw.... cheese has a metallic/chemical smell to it.

let us know how it turned out

whats the deal with smoking cream cheese?

We don't live in Texas cuz it cold, anything below 65 we have heavy cloths and jackets on. If it gets to freezing we can't drive. In short Texans live with their heat and meat not cold as ice.....:decision:

ok in the pic it shows the top of the can open . Won't that give the chips to much air and egnight ensted of smoke ???

Popeye, I do it in my drum and I leave it all sealed up. So really, it only uses the air in the drum and that gets replenished when I open the lid. I have never had it flame up but sometimes the smoldering does get going a bit. This is only an issue if you are smoking in warmer outdoor temps. I have even taken the can out when I am done and dumped the chips on the ground and they will just continue to smolder unless there is a wind or you blow on them a bit to get a flame going.

Things that may kill you in Texas

Feral Hogs
Sand hornets
Red wasps
Africanized honey bees
Diamond back rattlesnake
Copperhead snake
Cotton Mouthed Water Moccasin
Coral Snake
Brown Recluse spider
Black Widow spider
Bull shark
Hammer head shark
Black tip shark
scorpions
Alligators
Mountain Lions
Drug mules
Mexican Mafia
Arian Brother Hood
M13
Banditos Motor cycle gang
Crips
Bloods
Cowboys (drunkan)
Rednecks (drunkan)
Ruffnecks ( drunkan)

Things that may kill you in Minnesota

Lutefisk
250px-ForkLutefisk.jpg

Cool weather

trucks-are-encased-in-ice-after-a-warehouse-fire-in-chicago-on-jan-23-2013-the-large-fire-occurred-as-an-arctic-blast-gripped-the-us-midwest-and-northeast-at-least-three-deaths-were-linked-to-the-frigid-weather-and-fierce-winds-made-some-locations-feel-as-cold-as-50-degrees-below-zero-fahrenheit.jpg

For cheese I use the soldering iron and can. 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Works great. With this setup you can smoke cheese year round when the temp is below 90.

Back