Questions for KCBS BOD Candidates

we the Board were told that all event organizers wold get this notice, I know of many who did, it was also on the website for a couple of weeks...

I can tell you it didn't happen that way. Too bad too. Would have been a nice reward to some great organizers we have across the country that have done a lot to promote barbecue in their areas and the KCBS in general. Hopefully that will be kept in mind as the next season of Sam's Club events is announced.

I have a couple questions for the candidates.

Did you watch the video of Carolyn accepting Tuffy's apparently late entry at Lakeland?
Do you think she planned on DQing it when she left that turn in room?
Would you have the nads to hold her accountable?

Did you watch the video of Carolyn accepting Tuffy's apparently late entry at Lakeland?

Yes. Don't know. Yes.

I did not yet see it. I don't know where to find it but would like to. To answer your other questions, I cannot speak to what her intentions were but if I was another Rep or a board member seeing this, I would hold her accountable no doubt. Playing by ALL of the rules has to start at the top, whomever is sitting in that position. I mean seriously, what's the worst? You get blackballed and ousted because you made the proper decision and wanted the rules enforced equally for all? If that was the case and I was blackballed or ousted, why would I want to be a member of that kind of organization anyway? As a board member, you have to live up to your belief in what's right and doing the right thing, no matter who you find is not. That's not a knock on Carolyn because, like I've said, I have'nt seen the video and I'm not familiar with all of the details of what happened. It's just speaking in general to those kinds of situations.

As a candidate I did watch the video and the video reminds me of a really good horror movie. You are cheering for the person to get to the turn in, the officials are right there standing over the clock, and as time expires the cook is late... From the video you would swear that the rep turned a blind eye and decided to take the entry. I hope that she decided to do the right thing based on the rules and not the fact that it was being recorded.
I do believe that she planned on DQ'ing the entry but had the entire incident been caught on video I am unsure of what would, or wouldn't have happened. My reasoning isn't because of who the rep was but how easy it would have been for her to look away. The other issue is the fact that she had to make a decision that inturn affected a very predominant cook.
If she had not DQ'd the entry and this video makes the rounds then KCBS has a whole new problem and an entirely new watchdog group with cameras recording turn ins at every contest.
If elected to the board I would make an example out of anyone that obviously defies the rules set forth whether they are a judge, rep, or cook.
I think that the big thing learned here is that Carolyn is a GOOD rep and this video should be a tool to show everyone that NOBODY is immune to rules, no matter how well known or new you are to competing. Kudos to Carolyn!:clap2:

I gave a pretty short answer this morning, because I hadn't had a lot of sleep due some wound up dogs:doh:

Question 1: Having seen the video, I think it was late and accepted.

Question 3: I would. That was an error, that has raised some questions. KCBS sells a service, and I understand that mistakes will be made. That being said there needs to be some accountability regardless of who is involved.

Question 2: Is more difficult. I've heard some of the same rumors that others have. I can't make a fair decision based on rumors. I need information and evidence. What I may, or may not, suspect is irrelevant if elected.

This is from the rules. It was put in place to keep qualifying contests with the required team counts in categories:

CLARIFICATION: If product is turned in and is disqualified, it
receives a one (1) in all criteria. If the team does not turn in
a product or is disqualified and not allowed to turn in, that
team’s category is not judged and receives no score. If a
product is turned in and then disqualified for late turn in,
no bone in ribs, etc., it is not judged and will receive a one
(1) in all criteria.

The problem with Lakeland was that Carolyn took the box without telling Tuffy it was DQed and would be given 1's based on the rule above. He thought he skated through on the late turn in, as evidenced by his interview on another video.

In my opinion, the right result at the contest occurred. End of story!

This is from the rules. It was put in place to keep qualifying contests with the required team counts in categories:

(1) in all criteria.

The problem with Lakeland was that Carolyn took the box without telling Tuffy it was DQed and would be given 1's based on the rule above. He thought he skated through on the late turn in, as evidenced by his interview on another video.

Obviously it's not the end of the story if people are still talking about it. Are you saying Carolyn accepted the box to keep the team count up ? There were 66 teams in that contest so turning Tuffy away would not have affected anybody's chance of getting into the Royal or Jack. Why did you bring up team count ? Do you think Carolyn should have told Tuffy he was late on the spot ? I Do. Either his turn in was late or it wasn't and that decision is made at turn in time not 1 minute 5 minutes 20 minutes or an hour later after you realize there was a video of the late entry. Should the rep (Carolyn) have been reprimanded ? Probably. If it wasn't Carolyn Wells would it have been a different story ? I'm not saying Carolyn should have been suspended from being a rep but she should have made a public apology and admitted she made a mistake by not dq'ing the entry on the spot. I know Tuffy would never ask for such a thing but that's not really the point.

(1) in all criteria.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but the entry is late or it isn't. The video in this case is pretty clear. Tuffy should have been told that at the time. That error could cast a shadow on the credibility of the service that KCBS offers.

Back