Smoked some Salt...

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
John
20111030_SmokedSalt.jpg

I bought one of those frying pan splatter screens (11" diameter" and cut the handle off to use as a screen for smoking a batch of salt today. I spread out a 24-oz container of coarse sea salt on the screen and smoked it on my Mini WSM for about three hours over some apple wood chunks. I stirred it around occasionally, but I still need to find a way to build something that I can use for smoking salt and get more of it on at one time in thinner layers...

I've done it just on a cookie sheet.. that works, too. But the screen may ensure more even coverage.

How do you know when smoked salt is done? Do you use the bend test or go by the feel of your probe? :becky:

OK... Seriously... How did you smoke it? What temps and how long? Are you looking for a specific color, or did you taste it for smokiness?

I use a Weber aluminum pan for smoking my seasonings. Just stir them around occasionally. Size of the pan depends on the amount I'm smoking.
I've done sea salt, kosher salt, garlic salt & paprika so far.

How do you know when smoked salt is done? Do you use the bend test or go by the feel of your probe? :becky:

OK... Seriously... How did you smoke it? What temps and how long? Are you looking for a specific color, or did you taste it for smokiness?

I smoked it at between 175-200° for about three hours with 4 chunks of apple wood. I just left it on until the color looked good... no amount of science in this one at all.

Back