March Meat Madness!

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Here we go again!

It's the 3rd Occasional Backyard at the Rocke

gallery_246_24_48509.jpg

This is a practice contest that Chris Rocke holds in the cul-de-sac in front of his home. It's a chance for us to hone our skills during the down time between contests. I'm especially looking forward to cooking with the spicewine (even if I am only cooking chicken for this one.)

We aer cooking Chicken, pork ribs, tri-tip and Anything Butt. We will have several CBJ's judging and they will also be filling out comment cards. It's a great chance to talk with judges and find out what they look for. Really a great learning experience.

Here are the teams that are participating...

1. Rancho Rocke BBQ
  2. Funtime BBQ
  3. When Pigs Fly BBQ
  4. Smell My Butts
  5. Yanqui Pit Boss
  6. 4Q BBQ
  7. Big Country BBQ
  8. Leanza's BBQ
  9. 7 Kinds Of Smoke BBQ (Formerly Carter Catering)
  10. Road Whore BBQ
  11. Blast Off BBQ
  12. Auntie Shoe's Bodacious BBQ
  13. ThrillBilly BBQ
  14. Professional Cookers, Inc.
And in addition to some awesome pies, brownies and cookies, here are the awesome prizes that have been donated:

Forschner Knives
BLQUE and Pelletheads.com have generously offered the March backyard event the following prizes for the top three teams -- i.e. Grand Champ, Reserve Champ and team no 3:

• First Place -- a 12” 40633 with Granton edge, $60.35 value
  • Second Place -- a 40812 6” wide blade with Granton edge, a $31.15 value and a 42610 6” curved blade with Granton edge, a $26.05 value
  • Third Place -- a 46612 6” wide blade stiff, a $22.70 value
Eggs by the Bay Basket

Eggs by the Bay and Darry Smith have donated a basket full of BBQ goodies (such thing as sauces, rubs, gloves, etc) for the Grand Champ.

This promises to be a great backyard event. I encourage everyone to try and organize contests like this in your area. The neighbors love it because we always cook enough to feed them. We also get a chance to taste other teams BBQ. This almost never happens at a contest.

Check back here and we will post all developments and the contest results.

Wow, very impressive for a "practice" run. Sounds like a great time!!
We are trying to line up something like that here in April.....hopefully goes as well as your's!! :biggrin:

It's really a great time and as always we thank the ROcke family and their neighbors for having us.

Neil,

You guys should have a great time. Hopefully Lakeside Ranch turns out well for it's first year. Wish I could do both, but Rancho Rocke is too far for practice.

Can't wait for this one! It seems that I'c cooking ribs and tri-tip for the first time ever. What a way to break in the spicewine. Hope I don't destroy the tri-tip.

Here are the the teams and those confrimed so far...
  1. Rancho Rocke BBQ-Confrimed
  2. Funtime BBQ-Confrimed
  3. When Pigs Fly BBQ
  4. Smell My Butts BBQ-Confrimed
  5. Yanqui Pit Boss
  6. 4Q BBQ-Confrimed
  7. Big Country BBQ-Confrimed
  8. Leanza's BBQ-Confrimed
  9. 7 Kinds Of Smoke BBQ (Formerly Carter Catering)
  10. Road Whore BBQ-Confrimed
  11. Blast Off BBQ
  12. Professional Cookers, Inc.-Confrimed
Bring Gyro's, the "Blow-out" fattie and lots of GatorAid! Game time temps, mid 70's!

Last edited:
Can't wait for this one! It seems that I'c cooking ribs and tri-tip for the first time ever. What a way to break in the spicewine. Hope I don't destroy the tri-tip.

You are usually the brisket man and Prof Salt is on ribs? Are you guys getting certified in other meats?

Hiiiiiiyaaaaaaa.....! Can't wait for Saturday! Leanza's BBQ, a conclom of Brother, DDT, me and my son. DDT emailed me and said his nerves are shot and we havent got there yet. I dont plan on sleeping the night before but what the heck. Last year was a great time. BBQ in So. Cal is a dream come true. The people, the cooking, the neighbors, Bentley, Kelly and their dilligence. Chris Rocke, and his family made it a day that anybody who loves the idea of competition a memorable place to be. Truely, So Cali.

You are usually the brisket man and Prof Salt is on ribs? Are you guys getting certified in other meats?

Yup! Salt is doing the chicken and Sylvie is doing anything but.

The Brothers represented well today. Four Q had a great team effort and a Spicewine....They won!

What, me and Sylvie are chopped liver? Four Q gets GC, thank you very much!

We're all very excited to get our first GC and start the 2008 season right. It feels good to get the GC monkey off our back.

IMG_1674.jpg

Grand Champion 3Q er 4Q! Fine Job!

IMG_1673.jpg

2nd Place When Pigs Fly Dale & Tammy Ginos!

IMG_1672.jpg

3rd Place Smell My Butts, Glen Stanley & Janice!

IMG_1665.jpg

Leanza BBQ, Dale & Tom, a nice 4th place finish over all and a sweet 3rd in Anything Butt and 1st in Chicken!

Good day! 10 teams, 5 which had never been in a BBQ contest before, way to go everyone.

And the CBBQA BOD does not think these events are worthy of a couple hundred bucks cuz its not where they wanna spend the money,"...well there not all CBBQA members, where do we draw the line..."

KMA!

Last edited:
Four Q was victorious. I was really proud of our team!

GC
2nd Tri-tip
3rd Ribs

Full results later.

Way to go, FourQ! Fear the pig in SoCal with another Spicewine!

Great Job guys. Had pleasure of sampling some of the goods today. Gotta say they deserved it.

Thom meant Four Q scores GC with Sylvie, Professor and Big Mista. It was a team effort.

Yes you are of course right
After talking to Neil on the phone I posted with reckless abandon the incorrect information
4Q is a team effort and no slight of any ones talents was intended
The Joy of a fellow Spicewiner overcame me
Please Forgive me

Great Job Guys and Gals!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a great time was had by all.

TIM

Seems like you guys had a good time, and congrats to all the teams and people who attended and participated. I wished I could have been there, but as usual when something BBQ happens in SoCal, I am at work.

Back