Top New York City BBQ stops

Zombie Barbecue

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I work in NYC quite often and over the last year have been sampling and thoroughly enjoying what the city has to offer in terms of bbq. (Although there are some really crappy joints as well) Below is a list of the 7 top spots in order from worst to best, that Ive visited and tried as well as some menu items that are not to be missed. feel free to add any spots that I havent tried yet. Enjoy

7) Daisy Maes bbq -all around just average. good beans and sloppy pork sandwiches.

6) Virgils bbq- pretty good bbq, nothing amazing. better sides. try the hushpuppies.

5) RUB- very good ribs. soso brisket. Highly recommend the bacon slab app., but the slaw and chicken were good. I could tell the bbq had been precut and sitting for a bit, wouldve liked a fresher slab of ribs. but still this place is true wood smoked. paul kirk wouldnt have it any other way.

4) Wildwood BBQ- great ribs. great ribs. awesome bark, good rub on em, can get em 3 different ways. awesome chipolte bbq sauce too. Beans were good, roasted brussel sprouts were even better! get them. In addition, they're bacon slab app done 3 ways was small but friggin fantastic. brisket was good as well, chicken not so much, couldve used more bark.

3) Hill Country- The best looking interior around (check out the basement). Also served Beef Shoulder which kicked major ass. Brisket was awesome and the sides were plentiful and all 3 were amazing. mac and cheese was top notch. a bit pricey, but hey you order by the pound so go nuts. the beef ribs were friggin huge and had a great salt and pepper rub on em. probably had the best bbq sauce as well. perfect for pork. highly recommend tying one on here.

2) Blue Smoke- you'd think trying to make bbq a bit classy is blasphemous, but not here. its smoked legit and all the flavors are there and then some. This place is pricey, but you get what you pay for. Gotta have the deviled eggs, for a side I never thought too much about, holy hell were these things kick-ass. The beef ribs here are the absolute best when it comes to meat options. In a close second is there brisket which is tender as hell, third are the ribs which were also tender and very flavorful, I just prefer a bit more bark.

1) Dinosaur BBQ- Ive been here well over 5 times and each time confirms that this is the best bbq in NY. The ambience is friggin great, the beers are cold as hell, and the bbq?? well it's ALL great. Get the fried green tomatoes, then get another order. the cucumber/tom salad is vinegary and great, the beans are the best with burnt ends, and the slaw friggin rules. The ribs have a great rub with perfect bark, the brisket is plentiful, tender, and full of smoke. the pulled pork has nice bits of bark. and the price is right! Go here for lunch, plow some brooklyn lagers and stay for dinner. Dinosaur bbq is the real deal!

hope this list helps if you ever travel to this city. I know of a bbq cart in queens that supposed to be legit so that will be my next stop. lemme know if I missed any. BBQ is religion and these are my temples. cheers and beers.

Tastes and expectations differ, but many of these keep popping up in "best" lists.

Thanks for your take on them.

One that you should try that's in Brooklyn is Fette Sau. Not only do they amazing brisket and pulled pork, but they generally have meats you wouldn't see anywhere else. Let me know if you try it!

Kevin Kelly
Kevin's BBQ Joints

So I work in NYC quite often and over the last year have been sampling and thoroughly enjoying what the city has to offer in terms of bbq. (Although there are some really crappy joints as well) Below is a list of the 7 top spots in order from worst to best, that Ive visited and tried as well as some menu items that are not to be missed. feel free to add any spots that I havent tried yet. Enjoy

7) Daisy Maes bbq -all around just average. good beans and sloppy pork sandwiches.

6) Virgils bbq- pretty good bbq, nothing amazing. better sides. try the hushpuppies.

5) RUB- very good ribs. soso brisket. Highly recommend the bacon slab app., but the slaw and chicken were good. I could tell the bbq had been precut and sitting for a bit, wouldve liked a fresher slab of ribs. but still this place is true wood smoked. paul kirk wouldnt have it any other way.

4) Wildwood BBQ- great ribs. great ribs. awesome bark, good rub on em, can get em 3 different ways. awesome chipolte bbq sauce too. Beans were good, roasted brussel sprouts were even better! get them. In addition, they're bacon slab app done 3 ways was small but friggin fantastic. brisket was good as well, chicken not so much, couldve used more bark.

3) Hill Country- The best looking interior around (check out the basement). Also served Beef Shoulder which kicked major ass. Brisket was awesome and the sides were plentiful and all 3 were amazing. mac and cheese was top notch. a bit pricey, but hey you order by the pound so go nuts. the beef ribs were friggin huge and had a great salt and pepper rub on em. probably had the best bbq sauce as well. perfect for pork. highly recommend tying one on here.

2) Blue Smoke- you'd think trying to make bbq a bit classy is blasphemous, but not here. its smoked legit and all the flavors are there and then some. This place is pricey, but you get what you pay for. Gotta have the deviled eggs, for a side I never thought too much about, holy hell were these things kick-ass. The beef ribs here are the absolute best when it comes to meat options. In a close second is there brisket which is tender as hell, third are the ribs which were also tender and very flavorful, I just prefer a bit more bark.

1) Dinosaur BBQ- Ive been here well over 5 times and each time confirms that this is the best bbq in NY. The ambience is friggin great, the beers are cold as hell, and the bbq?? well it's ALL great. Get the fried green tomatoes, then get another order. the cucumber/tom salad is vinegary and great, the beans are the best with burnt ends, and the slaw friggin rules. The ribs have a great rub with perfect bark, the brisket is plentiful, tender, and full of smoke. the pulled pork has nice bits of bark. and the price is right! Go here for lunch, plow some brooklyn lagers and stay for dinner. Dinosaur bbq is the real deal!

hope this list helps if you ever travel to this city. I know of a bbq cart in queens that supposed to be legit so that will be my next stop. lemme know if I missed any. BBQ is religion and these are my temples. cheers and beers.

Did you try the suckling pig or monster beef ribs at Daisy May's BBQ? Adam Perry Lang's Q is exceptional!

Have you tried Dr. BBQ and Elizabeth Karmel's Southern Hospitality?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Did you try the suckling pig or monster beef ribs at Daisy May's BBQ? Adam Perry Lang's Q is exceptional!

Have you tried Dr. BBQ and Elizabeth Karmel's Southern Hospitality?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Cliff-as best as I know Dr bbq is not affiliated w/southern hospitality any longer and Elizabeth Karmel was only linked w/ hill country and that was mainly for all the side dishes (that's what I heard when HC had just opened a few years ago).

One that you should try that's in Brooklyn is Fette Sau. Not only do they amazing brisket and pulled pork, but they generally have meats you wouldn't see anywhere else. Let me know if you try it!

Kevin Kelly
Kevin's BBQ Joints

Thanks Kevin, that will be next on the list. I hear there is a badass mobile bbq cart around queens. been trying to remember the name.

Keep em coming fellas. Cheers and beers! Your brother in Sauce.

Back