Restaurant Depot butts

Jaskew82

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I went to RD today to get some boston butts for this weekend and noticed they were out of bone in. Last time I went, they were out and so was costco. Is there some sort of shortage that I am unaware of?

Also, I noticed the boneless RD butts looked like they had great looking money muscles. I won't cook a boneless but has anyone cooked these in competition with sucess?

I am in your area, and I go to the RD in Blauvelt all the time and never had an issue getting bone in butts. If I'm really concerned about it, I'll call them in advance and ask if they have, and if so, they will put some off to the side for me before I make the drive over there.

Thanks Eggz. Unfortunately I cannot get to Blauvelt because of work but South Hackensack is 5 minutes from my office. I will have to check back tomorrow.

Only went to South Hackensack once and they had the bone in butts, but that was during the winter; I was in the area so I stopped in to see the difference, but its not my local RD so I don't frequent it. However, it is bigger than the Blauvelt one so they should have more in stock I would think. Just speak to someone in the dept, they may have it in cases in the back and they will break open cases for you sometimes, or they will know when they are getting more in (usually 1-2 days), etc.

Odd, I was in Sam's the other day, and all the had was picnics. Pig shortage?????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

I was at my RD today and they had a whole display case full of bone-in. Apparently no shortage here.

First time I have been disapointed with Sam club bone in butts this year was in Pittsburgh at the site for the sams comp. I have catered like 1500 pounds of sams butts this year. The ribs and butts were both garbage! I thought about trying RD but didnt think it would matter much. Got to be a pig thing going on in my neck of the woods too. Just picked up 2 cases today for a party, 71 and 70 pound boxes. total of twenty butts!!! should be 16.

It really depends on what the Meat manager at the local RD orders. I have 3 RD's local and one only gets in about 5 cases of bone in butts per week. The other two order pallets of bone in butts. When I asked the one manager about it he said "we don't sell that many bone in butts so we don't order very many."

The RD in Lombard, IL had plenty of both bone in and boneless today. I found several two packs that were over 20 lbs.

The Sam's by me only have tiny butts. The biggest two pack is usually between 12 and 13 lbs.

Odd, I was in Sam's the other day, and all the had was picnics. Pig shortage?????

Same here! The last few months, all our Sams has are shoulders in the case. But when I ask them, they've always brought out the standard 2-pack cryos of bone-in butts.

It's had me scratching my head....

Same here! The last few months, all our Sams has are shoulders in the case. But when I ask them, they've always brought out the standard 2-pack cryos of bone-in butts.

It's had me scratching my head....

They make country ribs out of them, they get more $ per pound that way

South Plainfield has bone in butts. Got a couple of two packs in the freezer now.

Secaucus usually does not have many either. I think the huge latin population in this Northern NJ area puts quite the demand on bone in butts here, Pernil, asado, etc....

Also, I noticed the boneless RD butts looked like they had great looking money muscles. I won't cook a boneless but has anyone cooked these in competition with sucess?

I have but not on purpose. All I saw were these awesome money muscles and I did not even check to see if they were bone in.

When it came time to prep my pork I realized my error. I decided to roll with it and it was a top 10 finish.

RD in Bohemia and both, boneless and bone-in.
I picked up 2 bone-in on purpose for this weekend at Sam's Club Medford.

I was at the RD off Eisenhower Ave (Alexandria, VA) yesterday and there were two bone-ins to choose from. The MM on one pack was really nice, but it makes me nervous for future pickings. I also wish that RD would carry pork belly on a more consistent basis.

Back