Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

I understand what you're saying Brian, no argument there.

Bob yes it does, but I understood this was about the cooker not the vent hood.
I could be totally wrong..............as usual

Believe me, I understand the frustration, my church project needed to have the front steps and access ramp poured this week, if we had any chance of having the church open for Christmas Eve, which is turns out, is a pretty important date for most Christian churches. Buuuutttt... the ispector would not sign off on the ramp and steps, as he needed certain things. Which I felt, since we already had approved plans and a building permit were considered and approved. But, NOOO.

After two weeks and a serous amount of concern from my clients, the inspector finally says 'look, I don't really know the code, it seems like you have some things wrong, but, if you will stamp and sign the drawings showing the field conditions, I will accept them and you can pour.' Well, then we can do that. Two weeks of diddling around and finally, with one day left, he says 'sign this, lift all liability from the City and you can pour'

Kinda funny that's what happened to my Brother at his church, he's the Pastor.

What is really dumb, is that we went and got the permit, because we wanted to play nice. The ramp and stairs are exempt from ADA and Title 24 Access codes.

Same as my brother. Like he told them you approved the drawings so what's the problem now?
You want more money or you just weren't paying attention to the drawings.

Sorry we're highjacking this thread

As a former inspector, there is another side.

Suppose the mechanical inspector signs off on the smoker, and he has no experience with them. Then, down the road, the thing catches fire and the kitchen workers can't get out. Someone dies. And the owner of said hypothetical business says 'well, the inspector approved it'. If he did, and there is a proven flaw that he missed, the City is now on the hook. No inspector should ever sign off on work that he either knows is defective, or does not know enough to properly inspect. The person who screwed this up is the original general contractor, who should have known what needed to be done, and done it. Had that happened, then the restaurant would be open.

It isn't always the governments fault.

I just find it funny how all of the sudden he needed to have this mechanical inspection, was given notice about it at the last minute, and has to wait while the government official drags his feet. While the government is not completely at fault, it does share some of it. Don't forget these regulations were created by the government.

Which I felt, since we already had approved plans and a building permit were considered and approved. But, NOOO.

Exactly! That's my biggest problem. The initial building and permit was done way back in what, like September or something? It had the smoker on it, I gave them all the spec sheets for it, etc. So one, the contractor should have known whether it needed a mechanical permit or not even before he started. Or two, whoever approved the building permit should have caught it and informed us that the permit was needed before work even started.

That's two points of failure right there that could have resolved this before anything even started many months ago. So it's like nobody gave a fark in the beginning and just wanted their fees, and now all of a sudden everything hits the fan and everybody is acting surprised that a smoker was installed. Dafuq? This is no surprise. You knew this months ago and somebody even approved it so that work could begin. And then I have to hear it from the health department of all people a few days before we're supposed to open that we need a mechanical inspection?

The system. It is broken.

Oh well. My wife is a saint and has been drumming up private catering gigs for some friends and family so that we can make enough to at least keep our head above water for the rest of the year. Did one for 80 people today, doing a few briskets tomorrow, another on Monday, and two gigs on the 28th all lined up already. At least it's something.

Perseverance has it's Virtues and I bet in time you will reap the rewards my friend....Having Happy Patrons with your Catering will definitely bring more patrons into the doors once you open for business:) Keep Fighting the Fight! It will pay off in the End:)

How was the response from the people you catered to today?

Oh, they loved it. They even asked about how much lead time they need to place an order since they bring in food every Friday. They said they will be long time regulars long as the food is good.

I'll take that!

Hopefully that is the silver lining in all of this... that it is giving you a chance to explore more catering opportunities.

Hopefully that is the silver lining in all of this... that it is giving you a chance to explore more catering opportunities.

And catering gigs means folks are getting exposed to your Q so I'd call that positive business development. Doesn't make up for your tortured path, but it is something positive. Keep going, you are almost through it - then the real fun begins:roll:

I'll chime in first today.

I hope you get some good news. Something has to give with all this hard work and effort you have put in to this. If it's not good news then its time for :boxing:.

Take care and wishing you all the best!

Ray

Hope to her some great opening news today!!!!

Merry Christmas to you and yours Brother :thumb:

Back