BGE cooks faster as does a convection oven?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Is it just me, or does the BGE cook faster than the WSM at the same dome temperatures?

I was trying to figure out how to compensate for this and it popped into my mind that the radiation from the dome plus the convection from the air flow is much like a convection oven which cooks about 20% faster.

Have others noticed this phenomenon ?

Last edited:
i've never cooked on a wsm, but i'd say there is less airflow in the eggs because the ceramic mass is retaining the heat and the resulting greater fuel efficiency means less airflow over a metal cooker radiating heat to the atmosphere. this also means a water pan is not necessary in an egg.

the dome radiating the heat back to the top of the meat will undoubtedly create a more even cooking profile through the thickness of the meat, so that might be where the difference is realized

Yep, they do seem to cook faster.

Is it just me, or does the BGE cook faster than the WSM at the same dome temperatures?

I was trying to figure out how to compensate for this and it popped into my mind that the radiation from the dome plus the convection from the air flow is much like a convection oven which cooks about 20% faster.

Have others noticed this phenomenon ?
------------------------------------------------------
My sense is that a true convection effect does not occur unless vents are ~= to wide open. Even then, I think the BGE flow is more narrowed and defined than a well-designed convection oven which tries to equalize temps throughout the cooking area. Variation in results in different parts of the BGE seem to support this. My Traeger Texas 075 seemed to be more of a 'convection' cooker due to the fan.

Back