ThomEmery

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
We are thinking about cooking a contest this summer in the Heartland

Which Summer Cook Off would you do if you wanted to experience
a Great 35 teamish KCBS event?

It needs to be close to a Southwest Air hub

Summer The wife is a Teacher so we can get out a bit in summer

Mclouth, Ks and Tonganoxie, Ks are two good mid-size comps. I have only visited the Tonganoxie comp. but cooked at Mclouth twice. I wouldn't say that they are that close to the airport though. Let me know if you want some company (or some equipment, most of it will be on the shelf this year.)

I'm not a big fan of July and August contests but can vouch for these in the KC area (Southwest hub):

6/6 - McClouth, KS (30 teams)
6/13 - Raytown, MO (70 teams but fun)
6/13 - Tonganoxie, KS (30 teams)
7/?? - Peculiar, MO (not announced yet) (30 teams)
7/18 - Burlington, KS (I've not been but I've heard it's fun. I think Plowboy, MoKan, and Smoke On Wheels do this one) (30 teams)
8/22 - Cass County, MO
8/22 - Bonner Springs, KS
9/12 - Leavenworth, KS (30 teams)

Thanks Guys
Dean yea that would be fun
Paul LOL I was just posting on your forum

Platte City, MO - May 8

My 40th birthday!!!

It is at a camp ground and they have GREAT cabins there.

It is only a couple of miles from the KC airport. If that time of the year works for you, it would be the perfect contest.

1 More
My Folks are buried in Harrison Ak
In April I am running 4 contests so March is a busy time

Todd 41 sounds great

1 More
My Folks are buried in Harrison Ak
In April I am running 4 contests so March is a busy time

Todd 41 sounds great

We can try and find an FEC for you. I have a Traeger 075 you can use.

Dean has one I can use
We took the Fast Eddy class together
Thanks

Just want to try cooking one fly in this year
I dont get to cook a lot here

We hosted Scottie in AZ and it was a lot of fun

Lawrence KS is the same weekend as Platte City. Lawrence is only 30 miles outside of KC KS. I think Andy is planning on doing this one, we never do well in Platte City, well with the exception of my daughter who won the kids' q 2 yrs ago. Lawrence had less than 40 last year.

Platte city does have great grounds, but I think security needs to be a bit better after last year.

Last edited:
Lawrence KS is the same weekend as Platte City. Lawrence is only 30 miles outside of KC KS. I think Andy is planning on doing this one, we never do well in Platte City, well with the exception of my daughter who won the kids' q 2 yrs ago. They had less than 40 last year.

Platte city had a few security problems last year, with a potential judge who drank too much Friday night and then pulled out a gun.

1) Andy can't count. :lol: (Oh no he didn't!)
2) It is actually a nice family oriented event. It's not South Central.

It is a very fun event. They do a lot of things to help keep the kids busy. The judges just hate our food. Maybe we should team up with you Todd. Didn't you get a few calls???

Back