Spare rib help, want to nail these

cb4004

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Going to smoke spare ribs tomorrow, would like to try the 3-2-1 method. My question is:
Everything I’ve been reading recommends cook temps at 225, my problem is my drum likes to roll around 260-275. do I just shorten my first cook time to ??? 2hr and wrap time ??? 1hr?
This low and slow is all new to me, I'd really like to nail this one. my first go was over cooked.

@ 275 I usually do 3-1-.5 . Depending on the look going into the foil I will check them after 40 minutes of wrapping. Also you can snuff the oxygen supply to your cooker while the sauce is setting. This way your temp will start to come down and not over cook the ribs in the last few minutes. Good luck

I tried 3-2-1, came out ok. Followed pitmaster t's high heat vid nod won't o back! Yes, thy come out THAT good!

(See my avatar, smoke ribs with confidence!)

I'd stick to what your cooker does best. Cook 'em straight up with no foiling for 3.5-4.5 hours at 275. Look for the pig honey and listen to the sizzling sound. No need to even peek in order to know how they are doing. You can listen. When sizzling sound starts to get quiet, they are close. Then use bend, toothpick or bone tug test to determine when to remove from cooker.

If you must glaze, add it at the very end and cook for another 15 min to set.

I usually cook at 275 on my egg for 4 hours, no foil. Frequent spritzing with AJ/white vinegar combo.

I would go 2 hours then foil for 1 and then see what you've got. You may have to go 2 hours after the foil, but you'll be guaranteed good bark. Foiling really tenderizes the meat so I would just shorten the beginning timeline. And if your cooker is flirting with temps above 275 consider a rub with little sugar because it will burn- get your sweet from finishing sauce.

Roll at 260-275 and follow El Ropo and Marty's post. Forget foil, juice, honey, anything like that. Cook them naked until they pass the bend test. Listen for the sizzle. You are NOT going to NAIL ribs your first time out, just not going to happen. But you will make some really good ribs that you like. And making them simple will give you a base to measure future cooks on. After you have made 50+ racks, and changed your method 50+ times...........Then you can say..............Hey Farkers I Nailed It........:grin: Sorry but good Q comes with lots of work

It is possible to cook great BBQ on a consistent basis with out aluminum foil : 275 3.5-4 hrs neked NO FOIL when thy pass the bend test your done.

Above 240 if you foil for more than an hour its going to lead to a big ol mess.

Back