Super Quiet Generator

tonto1117

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Got my first comp coming up in July the " Taste of Grand Rapids" and they state there will be no electricity. It also states only" quiet generators will be tolerated" Ok, so I call the event coordinator Rich Berry and ask "what's considerd a quiet generator?" He tells me if somone complains it's to loud :roll: Well all along Iv'e been checking out some generators either to buy or rent for the contest and my local rental places don't rent the super quiet one's like the Honda EU100i which I priced out at $669.95 on sale:eusa_clap I already have major $$$ between the cooker, tents, tables, banners, ect..ect...not to mention the zillion other things I still need to grab.

Any ideas for power for a couple lights and such or a cheaper "quiet generator??

Thanks.

If you have a marine battery or could borrow one, you could get an inverter. They are pretty cheap at wal-mart or lowes and will work for just the lights, radio, etc. Thats a good price on a Honda, was it on the web?

I have a couple of contest that I attend where power is limited, an inverter and battery works well if your using low wattage lights. I have 2 12 ft EZ Up canopies that I will fasten the large Christmas lights around the edge just below the canopy cover, these require low wattage and give off plenty of light. I have also used the Coleman propane laterns. A couple of these will light up a work area fine.

You'll learn to judge your needs after a couple of contest and it'll be easier, pratice on your cooking and record the intervals between when you add fuel and check the food. Keep this information with you so you will have something to go by during the night that way you will have an idea of just how often you'll actually need lights. If you want a radio get a battery powered one. No need to drop major cash before your ready just because someone wants you to have a quite generator. How much quiter can you be if you don't have one at all! Besides if you buy a generator too fast you may find out that you didn't buy one large enough and then you'll have a hard time getting your money back out of it when you upgrade. I use a Super Quite Honda 3,500 watt when I set up. I power the camper, TV, fridge and I have a freezer mounted on front of my smoker trailer that is powered by an inverter while traveling and by generator after setup. Don't be in a hurry to spend that money, determine just what your needs are and go from there.

Main thing is go, cook and enjoy. Good Luck!

Thanks guys, thinking I'll go the battery route for now although I did find a Briggs and Stratton portable 1000w generator on sale for $327 at Tractor Supply...hmmm.. very tempting. Just trying to keep the needs and suprises in check so I can concetrate on the task at hand...cooking and enjoying the experience.

Thats a good price on a Honda, was it on the web?

No, it was a local Honda dealer. I also called two other dealers about an hour away and was given the same exact price.

Theresa.

tonto, I purchased a briggs & stratton last year. I used it at Grand Rapids last year. Its the Elite Series, 2000 watt model. It was approved bye contest officials. Another fellow had his wife go out and purchase one as well. I ran electric fans off it because it was so beastly hot.
Very very quiet generator......purrs like a kitten. It came from Tractor Supply as well.

I had started a similar post a few weeks ago and the responses were leaning towards the Yamaha, Honda or Kipor. I ended up with a Kipor 3500Ti, it is pretty darn quiet. I paid $975 via ebay. They were also listed on Amazon for slightly more. Both sources offered free shipping. I was able to run my AC on it in my travel trailer as well as lights. I did not attempt to run the microwave at the same time as the AC though.

Here is the ebay listing for what you might be intersted in based on you stating that you were looking at the Honda EU1000:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SINE...tegoryZ50437QQihZ007QQitemZ170104912930QQrdZ1

I will let you do your due diligence. Also you can do a search here and see what info I was given a few weeks ago. I also called several dealers here in the DFW area as well as a few authorized service reps and based on their feedback I made my decision.

Here is the one I ended up getting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-Start-...7QQihZ015QQcategoryZ46412QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tonto I just use lanterns for my cook site when there is no power. I need just anuff light to see the cooler.

Thanks for all of the input. Still looking at all options. Might have to grab that B&S Elite 1000 at Tractor Supply for $327. Help us understand the marine battery and invertor.....how much would that be, roughly?

thanks again, Bud...... the Scotsman side of the Tonto post.

I have a couple of contest that I attend where power is limited, an inverter and battery works well if your using low wattage lights. I have 2 12 ft EZ Up canopies that I will fasten the large Christmas lights around the edge just below the canopy cover, these require low wattage and give off plenty of light. I have also used the Coleman propane laterns. A couple of these will light up a work area fine.

You'll learn to judge your needs after a couple of contest and it'll be easier, pratice on your cooking and record the intervals between when you add fuel and check the food. Keep this information with you so you will have something to go by during the night that way you will have an idea of just how often you'll actually need lights. If you want a radio get a battery powered one. No need to drop major cash before your ready just because someone wants you to have a quite generator. How much quiter can you be if you don't have one at all! Besides if you buy a generator too fast you may find out that you didn't buy one large enough and then you'll have a hard time getting your money back out of it when you upgrade. I use a Super Quite Honda 3,500 watt when I set up. I power the camper, TV, fridge and I have a freezer mounted on front of my smoker trailer that is powered by an inverter while traveling and by generator after setup. Don't be in a hurry to spend that money, determine just what your needs are and go from there.

Main thing is go, cook and enjoy. Good Luck!

Jw, you know how when you first click on a post it takes you to a point below where the post started? I did that and it took me to yours and I gotta say your sage advice is right on and worded the best I ever seen and it made me think.

Somehow I missed this thread - but looks like tony sent you on to the area where we had some other discussion around the GenSets. If you can get by with the KGE1000 - it is less $$ than the Honda, and I am sold on thier durability and power. I used my Kipor during the rain and 6-8 inches of snow that fell in Osage City two weeks ago, and I used it last weekend at the Wildcat BBQ bash. Rock solid.... and powered my trailer, BBQ Guru, Amp (use my old guitar amp to blast my iPod.) A 1000 will be whisper quiet, and give you power for lights, fans, radio and rotisserie. We had a Coleman "sport" 1150 - that was in the $400 range... and it was ok - no super noisy, but louder than the Kipor I have now, and less power. http://www.generators4less.com/kge1000ti.html they used to have the best price on the little one.

You can get a good marine battery at Walmart, and an inverter will run you roughly $50. If you have a sam's club card, the inverter is only $35, or you could get something like this:
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=535&item=347029&prDeTab=2#A

For my money - I wouldnt spend the $125 on the temporary setup (batt. and inverter) - I would put it towards the generator that you can use all the time. IMO

I just bought a generator off ebay-the Power Max 3500. Paid $299.00, and that price included the shipping. Sunday, I installed the wheel kit and handles that were included, added oil and gas and it started on the first pull. Don't know about super quiet, but it is quiet. Alot quieter than the one a buddy bought at Home Depot for his trailer at the races. All in all, I'm very pleased with the purchase. We'll see how it holds up over time.

Thanks Greendriver, I just remember how it was when I started out with my first comp. Trying to figure out everything I needed, just hope the info was a help to tonto or anyone else. Even now I have a check list that's a page long to make sure everything is packed, my first contest of the season is coming up in 3 weeks and I've already started packing and shopping for it. Been working on new recipies for a month now :-D .

Hey tonto those generators you've been given are good and dependable, mine also doubles as emergency power during power outages, might want to keep that tucked away as a side note during the buying process.

Good luck with the gen and the contest.

All good advice and apprciated. For me right now it's a cost issue, already have a honking generator for the house. Just don't want to throw good money after bad and end up with somthing I wish, in retrospect, had waited for.. Like you all have said, it's my first comp and afterwood I'll probably know my wants and needs are much better. Just want to be able to maybe run a fan if it's farking 95* that day and some lights at night to see.

Probably will do a bit of looking around at all the generators mentioned within my $ range and go for it.....will let you know.

Theresa

Back