Portable generator of comps

BigDaddyJT

Full Fledged Farker
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a portable generator to power up my equipment at comps. The unit will be powering up my Stoker (constant use), lights (short periods of use), coffe maker (short periods of use) and a portable radio (constant use). This will only be used approx 8-10 times a year. Price is a factor, I'd like to get the most for my money. I also need a unit that is not too loud as to be an issue during "quiet time". I was looking at the Honda EU2000 or EU3000.

My questions are:
Anyone use either of these 2 units?
Which unit will be enough to run what I need EU2000 or EU3000?
Are there other brands out there that are comparable, but at a better price point?

I think this topic has been discussed previously, but couldn't pull it up in the search mode. I think I didn't do it right....

Thanks in advance,
JT

What is the wattage of everything, especially the coffee maker? It seems like the 2000 will be adequate, and if you find you need more you can add a second 2000 in parallel.

I think Honda is the best overall, but Yamaha and Kipor also make good generators. There has also been a lot of talk recently about Champion on some of the RV forums. I haven't heard one running but folks say it is quiet.

I wouldn't buy a Champion for $10. All Chinese made garbage. If you can't figure out who the engine manufacturer is and easily find a parts dealer for it that will be around for 10 or more years, Don't buy it. Buy a Honda 3000 if you can spare the cash and you won't have to buy another one most likely for the rest of your life.

My vote is for the honda EU 2000. It is lightweight and quiet. In Eco mode it is very quiet. It should run every thing you need. I would recommend purchasing on line at either Wise Sales or Mayberry's. They have the best prices and free shipping .Used units can be found for $600 and up depending on condition. but for 300 more you can get a new unit. Just my 2 cents.

Go with the Honda EU2000. I have had one for 5 years. I use mine to power my camper (no AC unit). Works great, they are a little spendy but you will never need to buy anything else, ever.

I wouldn't buy a Champion for $10. All Chinese made garbage. If you can't figure out who the engine manufacturer is and easily find a parts dealer for it that will be around for 10 or more years, Don't buy it. Buy a Honda 3000 if you can spare the cash and you won't have to buy another one most likely for the rest of your life.

Really?

@ $10 I'll take 20 of them and will never care if I can find parts!

There are a few Brethren that have posted that they have purchased the 2000W Champion and were impressed with it, especially given the cost savings.

Waste of $10 as far as I'm concerned. Not worth the dissapointment when it doesn't work when you need it. We can rehash this in 18 months when these things are getting tossed in a landfill.

Waste of $10 as far as I'm concerned. Not worth the dissapointment when it doesn't work when you need it. We can rehash this in 18 months when these things are getting tossed in a landfill.

Just curious, have you seen one? I don't know anyone who has one yet. I'd like to see one in person and in operation.

Just curious, have you seen one? I don't know anyone who has one yet. I'd like to see one in person and in operation.

Yes, they sell them at Cabelas. They look great........

I sell generators for a living and know plenty about these chinese units. Buyer beware.

My vote is for a 12v marine battery and a quality inverter. Much cheaper than the Honda, doesn't require gas, and makes zero noise. I just picked up a Zantrex 600 watt inverter ($170) w/ a marine battery ($75) and ran an FEC for 18 hours along with two CFL's for about 5 hours. Next weekend I'm going to brew three pots of coffee, run the FEC 100, run 2 lights, play a small Ipod speaker system for 8 hours, and charge a laptop and a Blackberry off of it as a test to see how many hours I can get using one battery. With the power I had left after the first comp I used it in I think I will be fine.

My vote is for a 12v marine battery and a quality inverter. Much cheaper than the Honda, doesn't require gas, and makes zero noise. I just picked up a Zantrex 600 watt inverter ($170) w/ a marine battery ($75) and ran an FEC for 18 hours along with two CFL's for about 5 hours. Next weekend I'm going to brew three pots of coffee, run the FEC 100, run 2 lights, play a small Ipod speaker system for 8 hours, and charge a laptop and a Blackberry off of it as a test to see how many hours I can get using one battery. With the power I had left after the first comp I used it in I think I will be fine.

Interesting, this is an option that I hadn't explored. It is a lot cheaper and If it works like your saying then I can use this set up all night to run my Stoker and power a couple of lights. Then recharge the battery during the day w/ the a conventional noisy generator and not disturb other teams.
Not that I'm cheap, but $250 is a lot less that $1070.00, which is what the EU2000's are going for out here in my ghetto. I definitely need to look into this a bit more.

Thanks for the info.
JT

The inverter is a good pick even when power is available. Set up with a marine charger. You will not have a power interuption that would otherwise restart everything. here is one I put together. It is actually two pieces so the shelf part can come off and then it will fit under a table out of the way if needed.
jimbotron0238_std.jpg

I have a deep cycle battery and 1000 watt inverter I use my charger hooked to the battery in the day and run the battery all night long and heres my set up 2 pellet cookers 1 stoker running 2 ugly drums and a siruis radio in the am of comps when genys are on im plugged into the comp power recharging nights im running off inverter power so far so good no power loss

I love mine. I picked up a charger for something like $15 and just let it recharge at home. If I was at a comp that lasted a couple of days I would either charge it on the provided power, a friends power, or more than likely just add a 2nd battery to the mix.

Yes, they sell them at Cabelas. They look great........

I sell generators for a living and know plenty about these chinese units. Buyer beware.

Thanks. I have a Honda, but those are cheap enough that I though about one for a backup. It sounds like I should pass :)

The inverter is a good pick even when power is available. Set up with a marine charger. You will not have a power interuption that would otherwise restart everything. here is one I put together. It is actually two pieces so the shelf part can come off and then it will fit under a table out of the way if needed.
jimbotron0238_std.jpg

That's a very cool looking setup.
It's 2 marine batteries, a marine charger and a marine inverter?
Can you provide the specs on the batteries, charger and inverter?
I would like to set something up like that.

Back