Am I on the right track?

FattyMac

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This past weekend I was cooking up some shoulders for the Superbowl and figured since the smoker was already going I should try my hand at some comp meat. I've got big plans to step out of the backyard division and play with the big boys.

First up was some chicken. I was happy with the way they turned out, although I would say that I need to work on my trimming as the pieces don't look all that uniform.
IMGP4147.JPG
IMGP4149.JPG

Next we have some ribs. I over cooked them as they were very difficult to cut they were so soft. Too much time in the foil is my guess.
IMGP4150.JPG
IMGP4153.JPG

And finally some brisket. This I was really happy with appearance wise. Would that be well founded?
IMGP4155.JPG
IMGP4157.JPG

Thanks for your input! :thumb:

I think it all looks really tasty, nice bite through on the chicken. One suggestion I have seen posted before is to place your chicken in a clamshell and leave it for 10 to 15 minutes to simulate the delay at judging and see if the skin gets rubbery. The rib bite looks like it didn't quite get clean pull away from the bone, are you sure it was not just slightly underdone? Also make sure you have a very sharp knife to slice the ribs.

As for the brisket---I just want to try a slice!

Edit to Add: I looked again at the brisket, and see the fat is at the top of the slice. While I like a little fat on the slices, some judges absolutely hate it. If you leave it on you might put it down so it is not so noticible, just a suggestion.

Go with what the majority dictates but when I judge for appearance, uniformity in size and shape doesn't matter.

I would offer my help, but it sounds like you know what you need to do.
Chicken looks good.. would be better if more uniform.
Ribs are a little overcooked and beginning to dry out a bit.
Brisket looks nice, but as was stated.. when you do box them up.. show off the ring, not the fat... I'd also probably trim off the fat..for every judge who likes a little fat, you'll find 2 who don't.. and it's never good cold.

Back