Thanksgiving Scalloped taters, double smoked ABTs

pinkelephant

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We were invited to a doctors house for thanksgiving and I decided to bring a smoked side :thumb:.
I found a scalloped tater recipe that would work with my plans and went to work.
This is the first time I ever made scalloped taters from scratch and after the 2 boxes of taters I have are gone, this will be the only way I will make them.

I fired up the UDS to smoke the ham.
I had to solve a problem before I got started. My UDS lid had a theft proof, liquid smoke seal on it. I was afraid I was going to pull the handle off. I had to pry it off in the end.
01.jpg

02.jpg

I collected all the used wood and lump from the last few cookouts and filled my "grillin" basket with a mix that had a nice campfire smell to it.
03.jpg

I got the weber going for double grilled ABTs and to sear the ham after it came off the UDS. I also made a new batch of bacon bits.
04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

Double smoked ABTs: If you cook the lil smokies before you make the ABTs, they taste SOOOO much better!
10.jpg

14.jpg

I filled my Cabelas 14" chicken fryer CI pot with the scalloped taters and put it in the UDS for 45 minutes. then I transferred it all to a 9x13 pan and cooked it in the oven for at least another hour.
11.jpg

12.jpg

We had to jump and run because these taters made us late. Here is an "after" shot when we were all done.
13.jpg

Oh yeah. they were a serious hit. My BBQ rep is safe in his house. He was a flight sergeon and he's now an ansthesiologist at a surgery center he owns a part of.

There was a Mexican there. you should have seen him dig into the ABTs. he never heard of one and he ate half of them. :-D

Great looking taters and ABTs Allen! :thumb:

I'm sure the Doc and everyone else tore them up. I know I would have... :becky:

Heck yeah... you can come to my place anytime if you bring that!:becky:
Thanks for the pron.
jlm

Back