Craigslist Help

aawa

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have been wanting a stick burner for a while, but I don't want to spend a lot of money. I have heard that the older OK Joes were quality built but the newer ones not so much. I found a CL ad for one but can't tell if it is a newer or older one. I would assume it is an older one because it does look clean.

These are the pictures from CL. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is listed for $200. Is it worth it?

01717_5wyZg9BItLT_600x450.jpg

00U0U_gEG6E6W2udw_600x450.jpg

00Y0Y_4w6kI7ADcGI_600x450.jpg

It's missing the ash pan below the firebox (you can see the rails) and the stainless front shelf came with the ash pan models too. If it doesn't have some kind of a mod there will be a big gaping hole. Have him send you pics of the inside floor of the firebox first. It also looks very repainted, check for signs of rust.

Otherwise, it's a decent pit to stickburn on, but by no means great. It has it flaws for sure. It was what I learned to cook on, so if you can learn to cook good food on that, you can cook good food on anything.

looks like a newer one to me

is the firebox welded on? If it is then its an older one

I have a new one bought in Jan from Lowes, I love it

no issues at all with it

it does look like the ash pan is missing, it might be plugged up. the old ones did not have that. Mine doesnt either thank goodness

Newer ones are still WAY better than the Chargrill/broiler cheapo's!!!! :wink:

I'd get it. Run $400-$500 new still.

Thanks for the info. I really don't need another cooker but I want to learn how to stickburn. I will keep an eye out on the add for another week or so if I decide i want to pull the trigger, I'll try to haggle with him.

Cookers as entertainment

He'll yes. There is no doubt in my mind that you will get 200$ of entertainment out of that cooker. Even if it leaks like a sieve think Moinks, turds, side dish warmer plus the all around coolness factor of an offset chiminea with a purpose.

Two Benjamin's. Hell Yea.

Thanks for the info. I really don't need another cooker but I want to learn how to stickburn. I will keep an eye out on the add for another week or so if I decide i want to pull the trigger, I'll try to haggle with him.
I'm just making you aware of what looks off with that picture. It is a bolted firebox, but IMO still better than the newer ones you see in stores now. It is a good cooker to learn to stickburn on without a major investment, I enjoyed mine. What I'm saying is don't be surprised if you get frustrated with it or outgrow it in a year or two. You will learn why Yoder's, Lang's, Jambo's, Horizon's etc. are worth what they are.

Shoot for $125 if you can get him down there. His wife may be on his rear to sell it.

if that was in my area it would not last 2 days

Hard to tell exact condition from the pics of course. As nucornhusker mentioned, it looks like fresh paint. The rust on the door handle...

Hard to tell exact condition from the pics of course. As nucornhusker mentioned, it looks like fresh paint. The rust on the door handle...

Good point. I'll ask for pictures of inside the firebox and inside of the cooker.

I picked up a New Braunfels Black Diamond recently for pretty much the same reasons. When I went to look at it, I took a small wrench with so I could rap against the metal in spots where I thought it might be rusted out. The bottom of the firebox and smoke chamber sounded pretty solid so I went ahead and paid the $40 for it and took it home.

I think the OK Joes are heavier metal - the NBBD is about 1/8" thick - so don't feel bad if you pay more. Mine was ready for a refurb too

They have the same exact model at our local Lowe's for $450ish new. I checked them out myself and for the price it is a pretty solid unit. I think it's made in China though. I say it's worth $200.

There I found the link and it's actually $429

http://www.lowes.com/pd_131736-82210-13201747_0__

They have the same exact model at our local Lowe's for $450ish new. I checked them out myself and for the price it is a pretty solid unit. I think it's made in China though. I say it's worth $200.

There I found the link and it's actually $429

http://www.lowes.com/pd_131736-82210-13201747_0__

thats the one I have

Its not the exact same model

the CL one has an ash pan. But other than that its the same. I think the ones with the ash pans were made by Brinkman, then it went to Charbroil and the dropped the ash pan idea.

Could be wrong on that that though

thats the one I have

Its not the exact same model

the CL one has an ash pan. But other than that its the same. I think the ones with the ash pans were made by Brinkman, then it went to Charbroil and the dropped the ash pan idea.

Could be wrong on that that though

There are more differences than the ash pan. The one on the Lowes site has more parts bolted on as opposed to welded, and the damper and door that damper is in on the firebox are different. Plus the firebox I think is split in two pieces on the new one, it's one solid piece on the one listed on CL.

Spring for it If you like It burn wood, stick burners are good fun.

There are more differences than the ash pan. The one on the Lowes site has more parts bolted on as opposed to welded, and the damper and door that damper is in on the firebox are different. Plus the firebox I think is split in two pieces on the new one, it's one solid piece on the one listed on CL.

yep you are right

I didnt think the Brinkman had a bolted on firebox (if this one is a Brinkman, I was just guessing) but I really dont know.

I can see the other differences you pointed out

thanks

Back