Beef Short Ribs APL Style (Pron)

aawa

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Well after reading through Adam Perry Lang's Serious BBQ book, I wanted to give his Fleur De Sel Short Ribs a shot. Brother GTR posted pictures of APL's pop up where there was a open face short rib sammich and I decided to go that route tonight.

First things first, had to pick up some Fleur De Sel.
9t3c5TK.jpg

I picked up a cryopack of short ribs, that had 4 plates. They were smaller plates than the ones I am used too, but they were marbling on them were fantastic. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the prep. :(

I followed APL's recipe to the T. His moisturing slather, the rub, the wrapping liquid, and finished with the cutting board liquid and Fleur De Sel sprinkling and finishing salt.

I messaged GTR a few days ago to find out what type of pickle was served with his sammich. He said that the pickle was spicy but not blow your head off spicy. Here is GTR's picture of the short rib sammich.
IMG_2171.jpg

I have a recipe for a spicy pickle so I decided to try to mimic APL's Pop Up short rib sammich. Here is my finished product.
WUasdWS.jpg

iGU1Gc4.jpg

Grilled the Texas Toast, a sweet and spicy pickle, sweet onions, with APL short ribs and APL's bbq sauce and a side of grilled squash.

GTR said that the sammich he had from APL was ridiculously good and my copy of his recipe was farking amazing. The wrapping liquid has honey and brown sugar in it and I was worried that it would be too sweet, but suprisingly it wasnt. It was a little side note of a natuarl sweet that actually complemented the flavor profile used on the short ribs. It was nothing as sweet as the APL Tri Tip.

I highly suggest that you look up this recipe and do it. The were by far the best beef short ribs I have ever done.

just love it brosef, aawa...just love it

googled your fancy pants fleur de sel too - special salt I guess?

winner winner! short rib dinner! looks awesome.

I wish I could of taken step by step pictures. Between multi-tasking cleaning since guests were coming over, making all the different components of APL's ribs, an interview for a new position within the company I work for, and stacking this pile of goodies I got from my neighbor who had an oak tree cut down, I forgot to take pictures throughout the process and barely remembered to take a picture of the finished shot.

Jh1JYPB.jpg

Been wanting to try that recipe too. Looks fantastic. Gotta hit that soon. Thats a great salt too, use it alot. Nice job.

just love it brosef, aawa...just love it

googled your fancy pants fleur de sel too - special salt I guess?

It is an artisan salt. I have had it before as a finishing salt, but it isn't cheap. APL advocates using it on your cutting board when cutting several different meats as well as sprinkling some over the top of steaks once it is cut. It really does elevate flavors quite a bit.

Been wanting to try that recipe too. Looks fantastic. Gotta hit that soon. Thats a great salt too, use it alot. Nice job.

The sooner you try the recipe, the better! This dish is definitely something that will stay in my arsenal. You should of seen my friends faces when i pulled out the beef ribs and started slicing. I think all of them starting drooling from the smell and also the sight of it all. My mouth started watering when I was slicing, it took a lot of willpower to not :drool: all over the food.

Looks fantastic! It is pleasantly surprising how nicely the sweet stuff works out.

Excellent work right there! :clap2:

My pic of the APL sammich could be better but I was in a farking feeding frenzy! :hungry:

I understand why were you in a feeding frenzy GTR. I was slicing the short ribs and my mouth was watering.

The subtle sweetness worked really well. With all the salt that is in the recipe (rub, buillion in wrap liquid, cutting board liquid, and finishing salt, it makes the sweetness a background flavor instead of a dominant flavor.

The sammich was amazeballs fantastic. The spicy pickle and sweet onion really balanced the short ribs even more so. Hands down I am using this recipe again when I am trying to impress the lady folk.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
That sure looks good, I want short ribs

I am drooling over here. If i wasnt stuck at the in laws id go buy the book and make that tonight.

I am drooling over here. If i wasnt stuck at the in laws id go buy the book and make that tonight.

I highly recommend the book. It is a great tool to get an insight to how APL thinks about cooking. He also basically walks you through a butchers case and gives recipes for a majority of the cuts of meats. He also has a bunch of side dishes as well.

It is a great read, great learning tool, and great resource.

Back