Overcooked Pulled Pork?

Spinman

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi all - I'm new to the forum and have never tackled pulled pork. I am serving at 8 pm saturday and can either put the butt on low and slow at 6:45 am before I go out for 4 hours OR wait until I am back home around noon and start it then. I am worried that if I start at 6:45 am that it will be overcooked if I leave it on the BBQ for 12 hours.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

start early when the bone wiggles ftc(foil towel cooler) it will stay hot for hours

Welcome to the BBQ-Brethren!

Time and Temperature, brother. Lower temp will take more time. You just need to figure out how much of each you need. That depends on your cooker and the size of the butt or butts.

If this is your first foray, plan several hours extra. Then when the butt is done, wrap in foil, wrap in some clean towels and put in a cooler. For more than an hour or two, warm the cooler with hot tap water first. Also be aware that it will continue to cook in the cooler so pull it accordingly.

Good luck!

start it when you get back home... my opinion ... set pit around 260 it will be done in 6 hours or so... then like above wrap in foil, put towels in the bottom of a cooler then place butt in cooler then put towels on top of butt.... it will be steaming hot for HOURS

Start when you get home. Forget about any temp below 300, go 325 or so. It will take only a few hours, wrap in foil after it probes tender, then wrap in towel and insert into oven or cooler. Win.

Thanks folks for the ideas. Looks like we have some different views - well at least I now know that I can pull this off both ways.

What kind of cooker? that makes a big difference in what I would recommend.

Just did a 7.5 pound butt this week. At 300 degrees pit temp and wrapping in foil at 165 IT it was done in a little over 5 hours (IT was 200).

How many are you feeding?
You'll be lucky to get 4 lbs of pulled pork from that 7 lb'er. That's only about 8 good servings.

You can't over cook a shoulder:oops: well maybe you cant:mrgreen:
I've had the wrapped in the cooler for 5hrs before pulling and it was still nice and hot

Back