Boeuf Bourguignon Stew (Take 5)

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I’ve made this dish 4 times before and it is my go to dish as it is my wife’s favorite. We first tasted Boeuf Bourguignon while staying at a B & B in Carmel. They had a local restaurant bring in samples of their signature dishes. We enjoyed it very much so I tried to recreate it at home although my version is more of a stew compared to the original. I apologize in advance for the amount of pictures.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot](I you want the recipe you can find it in the link below:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181499)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here are most of the ingredients.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Chuck roast trimmed and cut into approximate 1” cubes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Into a bowl with fresh ground salt and black pepper.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And now the bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon for a 2 hour bath.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]While they were getting to know each other I prepped the veggies. First I peeled the pearl onions by blanching them first for 30 seconds.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Then I cut the root end off of each one[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]and pinched the top [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]to get the body to pop out.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here’s most everything diced up for the pot.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I also cooked up 5 pieces of bacon and reserved the bacon (that I crumbled) and the grease for use later. After that I took out the meat and placed it on a bed of paper towels to dry a little.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I added some bacon grease to the pot and seared them in two batches to get a good sear on each piece.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After this I put in the diced onion until they started to sweat.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Then a tbsp. of butter and 3 tbsp. of flour and stirred.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I then poured in the wine marinate to deglaze the pot.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I let that simmer of 10 minutes and it thickened up nicely.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now I added the Bacon crumbles, garlic, carrots, celery and the beef.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now 1 32 oz. carton of beef broth, a couple shakes of dried thyme, a couple shakes of ground all spice, 1 tsp. of Kitchen Bouquet and 10 springs of fresh thyme.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I placed this on the kamado and brought it to a boil.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now I covered and moved over to the indirect side to simmer for 2 hours at 325 degrees.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After 90 minutes I add the potatoes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After 2 hours I brown the shallots.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And add them and the pearl onions, stir and simmer for another 15 minutes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I then add the parsley, stir and simmer for another 15 minutes. I moved it over to my gasser so I could bake my biscuits.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here are the biscuits in the kamado.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After 5 minutes I removed the lid.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Boeuf Bourguignon is done and so are the biscuits.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Plated shots with a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon and some flowers as well as Flower from Bambi. (My wife’s idea).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Superbe, Magnifque! :becky:[/FONT]

Last edited:
Looks scrumptious! :thumb::thumb: :clap::clap: BTW, no need to apologize for too many pics.

Wow that looks super good and your camera work is awesome as well. Thanks for posting may give this a go in the fall.

Reminds me of beef stew, maybe that's what it is? Looks really good and i love all the onion
Thank you Matt. Traditional Beef Bourguignon (Beef Burgundy) is a stew but included less veggies (carrot, onion and pearl onions) than my version and included mushrooms. Since my wife won't eat mushrooms I've left them out and added more veggies and potato instead.

Wow that looks super good and your camera work is awesome as well. Thanks for posting may give this a go in the fall.
Thank you Joe. So (Lo) Cal just had a cooling trend so it was a good time to make this.

Absolutely beautiful, great job on the post as well.

Your dish looks outstanding. Here is Coq au Vin. Similar, but with a rooster.

Attachments

• IMG_7025.jpg
    IMG_7025.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 6
Absolutely beautiful, great job on the post as well.
Thank you Bill. This post was very similar to the previous posts for this dish. Without all the pics you have no idea how much work there is making it.

Your dish looks outstanding. Here is Coq au Vin. Similar, but with a rooster.
Thank you Mike. That Coq au Vin looks good. I may need to make that sometime.

Back