BBQ Brethren "Summer of SPAM" Throwdown!

Do you like SPAM?

• I DON'T LIKE SPAM!!!

Votes: 30 28.0%
  • I love it. I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam beaked beans spam spam spam and spam!

Votes: 58 54.2%
  • As long as it doesn't have very much SPAM in it.

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • Lemon Curry?

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Spicy Pineapple Uspide-Down SPAM Cake (1 of 2)

So I was researching SPAM cookery when I stumbled across an odd question that someone had posed to Hormel, and Hormel had answered.

The question was whether they had any recipes or ideas for adding SPAM to Cake recipes.

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

The answer Hormel gave was to substitute the oil in a standard sized cake recipe with a loaf of SPAM.

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

After the shock and absolutely freakish scare that occurred once I fully processed and understood what they were getting at, I knew I had to try this.

With the Throwdown, my mind had been in the Pineapple realm with SPAM, which is common. So the first cake that came to mind was a Pineapple Upside Down Cake.

I figured if I was making a SPAM flavored Pineapple Upside Down Cake, it might be even BETTER if I kicked it up with some peppers and onion!:thumb: I mean, not only does SPAM blend well with the flavors of Pineapple, Cherries and Pecans, but it also blends with Peppers and Onions. And likewise, the flavors of Pineapple, Cherries and Pecan go well with the flavors of Peppers and Onions.

This plan seemed like a "can't fail" taste combo. The only trick was whether or not making a SPAM cake would really WORK!:confused:

So enough of the talk, here's the cake...

r_IMG_0827.jpg

r_IMG_0832.jpg

r_IMG_0834.jpg

r_IMG_0835.jpg

r_IMG_0836.jpg

r_IMG_0838.jpg

r_IMG_0839.jpg

r_IMG_0840.jpg

r_IMG_0841.jpg

r_IMG_0842.jpg

r_IMG_0843.jpg

r_IMG_0844.jpg

r_IMG_0845.jpg

r_IMG_0846.jpg

r_IMG_0847.jpg

r_IMG_0848.jpg

r_IMG_0851.jpg

r_IMG_0852.jpg

r_IMG_0853.jpg

...continued on next post (I hit the maximum number of images in one post).

Spicy Pineapple Uspide-Down SPAM Cake (2 of 2)

r_IMG_0855.jpg

r_IMG_0856.jpg

r_IMG_0857.jpg

r_IMG_0858.jpg

r_IMG_0859.jpg

r_IMG_0860.jpg

r_IMG_0861.jpg

r_IMG_0862.jpg

r_IMG_0863.jpg

r_IMG_0864.jpg

r_IMG_0865.jpg

r_IMG_0867.jpg

It rose!:shock:
r_IMG_0868.jpg

It kinda looks like cake.:shock:
r_IMG_0875.jpg

r_IMG_0873.jpg

r_IMG_0879.jpg

It looks like cake from the side too!:shock:
r_IMG_0887.jpg

It sliced like cake, had the texture of cake, even looked like cake on the inside!:shock::shock::shock:
r_IMG_0893.jpg

r_IMG_0895.jpg

Now for the verdict...

It tastes like a spicy hot Pineapple Upside Down Cake with a hint of onion. I could not taste the SPAM at all. I at pieces of the the cake itself to try and discern the SPAM flavor, but all I could get was a "something different" oil based flavor, and that was when trying to seek out the flavor!:shock:

So my 15 year old son walks into the kitchen, sees the cake, looks at me, looks at the cake, looks at me again, points at the cake and asks, "What's that other than some sort of Pineapple and Cherry Cake with Nuts sort of thing?":doh: I tell him it is a Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Not easily fooled any more by my creations, and perhaps sensing a smirk on my face, he puts his face down by the cake to get a good smell. He asked, "What smells like BBQ"? I told him it was cooked outside on the smoker, but that it also was a Spicy Hot Pineapple Upside Down Cake that had peppers in it (I did not tell him it had onion or he would not have tried it). So he asks for a "small" slice to try it out. He ate the whole thing, so I asked what he thought. He said, "It was too spicy, next time you should leave out the peppers, but other than that it was really good!:shock: He wanted another piece, so he got one!:becky: This time he got a glass of milk to go with it even!:becky:

...and no...he STILL does not have ANY idea there is SPAM in it at ALL!:laugh:

IN FACT...I am willing to bet that if you made this without the onions, peppers and cayenne, that you could serve this to ANYONE and they would have NO IDEA it had SPAM in it.:becky: I am drop dead farking serious. I think that is why the spicy angle failed...because who in their right mind would add onions, peppers and cayenne to regular Pineapple Upside Down Cake?:confused:

SO I CHALLENGE THE BRETHREN...to try this (without the onions, peppers and cayenne of course), and be surprised for yourself, as surprised as I am (I am seriously in a near state of shock here), that there is supposedly SPAM in this cake. I know there is, I put it in there and I have the pictures to prove it. It sure as hell doesn't TASTE like it has any SPAM in it.

So there you go.

And so ends the first Pineapple Upside-Down SPAM Cake experiment at the Baker Research Facility.

Sadly I am viewing this from my phone but I am blown away. Well played sir, well played indeed. I see now that it's been brought'n. Between you, redhot, deguerre, and I can only imagine the countless others, this is gonna get interesting. All I can say is, the gloves are gonna have to come off to win this one.

*rolls up sleeves and goes to work*

I don't think pineapple upside down cakes have fared too well in previous throwdowns. It might be an uphill battle.

Sadly I am viewing this from my phone but I am blown away. Well played sir, well played indeed. I see now that it's been brought'n. Between you, redhot, deguerre, and I can only imagine the countless others, this is gonna get interesting. All I can say is, the gloves are gonna have to come off to win this one.

*rolls up sleeves and goes to work*

Let's not forget Smiter Q's contribution to the above trio...

guerryandbigaongrill.jpg

^^^ Two questions:
1. Is that a team entry (looks like one)?
2. Is that the throwdown pic?

I made an entry last night and all the pix were great up til the plated ones, I was kinda rushing on the finishing of mine since I wanted to hit that spatay. It got pretty messy while it was hot but tasted pretty darn good which was strange. I'll be replating tonight and take more pix before submitting it.

Ham? Spam!
With pineapple ma'am.
On the grill
Is Sam I Am.

Watch your feet,
They are not meat.
They do not make
A tasty treat.

Making dinner
It's a winner.
Just don't cook
That little sinner.

Peppers roasted,
Never toasted.
"Tasted great,"
That Guerry boasted.

Here's a fun one,
Add some onion.
Wrap it up
Inside just one bun.

Let us feast
On Spam the beast.
And hope Redhot
Eats the least. :becky:

Nope, no explanation there either. :confused:

Funny...we get the giant sized containers of cayenne too...:becky:

r_IMG_0860.jpg

We've got three shakers. Salt, pepper...and cayenne.
Redhot added the third. I created a monster after introducing her to hot Hungarian paprika when we got together...

Ham? Spam!
With pineapple ma'am.
On the grill
Is Sam I Am.

Watch your feet,
They are not meat.
They do not make
A tasty treat.

Making dinner
It's a winner.
Just don't cook
That little sinner.

Peppers roasted,
Never toasted.
"Tasted great,"
That Guerry boasted.

Here's a fun one,
Add some onion.
Wrap it up
Inside just one bun.

Let us feast
On Spam the beast.
And hope Redhot
Eats the least. :becky:

Nope, no explanation there either. :confused:

And a brilliant to you too Gore. You and da bear should go on tour.

We've got three shakers. Salt, pepper...and cayenne.
Redhot added the third. I created a monster after introducing her to hot Hungarian paprika when we got together...

Actually we have six...four of which are pepper. Black pepper, white pepper, cayenne, red pepper flakes (in one of those shakers like they have at pizza joints), salt and garlic. Gotta have me some pepper!:becky:

Spamday Bars!

OK, re-plated and ready to go...although I must admit some were consumed in the making of, and the re-plating of these tonight. They're kinda, um, irresistable in fact! First, using the directions on the back of one of my cans of SPAM, I empty two cans of these gelatinous blobby thingys - one is lower sodium, the other with bacon - can you tell the difference? I rinse the gelatinous residue first, then dry...
gelatinousblob.jpg

The ingredients...
Ingredients-4.jpg

Then I slice in 1" cunks, mix dark brown sugar and cinnamon and coat half but ran out of brown sugar so added tubinado with cinnamon for the second half. Several of these were sliced in half lengthwise for future "filling"
onrack.jpg

On the grill they went...
onthegrill-5.jpg

Yum! I ate a few before the actual build 'cause they were just so sweet smellin' and calling for me! Oh, and Chris, can't you see my shakers there in the background?
readytobuild.jpg

herewego.jpg

Then the ones I cut in half lengthwise were slather with marshmallow cream and another SPAM slice placed on top, it was hard for me to keep deguerre outta these at this point!
filling.jpg

They were all then bathed in melted dark chocolate then rolled in their designated finishes

coconut for one...and, ladies, brace yourselves....
plated1-3.jpg

Chocolate and peanuts for the rest! YUM! Way better than I thought it would be. Told my superviser about my creation after she was interested in the SPAtay and she went, "EEK, just barfed in my mouth a little, but show me pictures" little did she know!!!!:thumb: SPAM can be transformed into a thing of beauty! As seen in my TD pic next!
maybe.jpg

Weber Performer/Cajun Bandit "Cajun Queen"
GOSM "Bubba Q",
Stovetop Smoker "Lazy Girl"
ET-73
I WON A BBQ TD WITH NOOO MEAT BABY!
Recipes were made to be modified
user_online.gif
progress.gif

Back